Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

The instructor's career is like an Architech

We try to build lifes and opportunities...build up their futures, in this situation we need to make an excellent Program to fit inside: time, material, funny time, curious time, etc...realy, this job is so interesting.

The development of class show your professionalism

it doesn't matter if you start or the end of class, in every one need to show them your knowledge, skills, friendship,the serious personality, how important is this career, etc...and only you have to give them at 15 minutes every day...this time is enough to creat the right enviroment or not in your whole course...

The Planning is an Art

The moment that you start the Program you need to know where is going every piece of knowledge, materials, support device, etc...and what is the thinking of your students...their dreams about your Program....get a better future...every day is a challange, a good opportunity to practice your experience in your field and leave in every student mind the masterpiece of your professionalism.

The Instructor's like a Father

Everybody knows that theaching is hard because everything that we make and everything that we say, everything is measurement carefully for the students and their family also. Re-build up the mind and sometimes their lives is a great responsability....and this is the main reason that the Instructor career is not a game.

Creative effective assesments

In my test, I do take questions from the question bank. Questions are selected on the basis of what, I have taught in the class. I like to include multiple choice questions, True and false questions and short essay type questions, so that all the students do well in my exam.

Student Learning Techniques

I am General Education teacher. I always tell students about the applied aspects of the subject. This way, they relate the subject and learn better. When they do presentation, they keep in mind, their major subject. These presentations can be included in their portfolio. This will help them, integrate the knowledge.

Questioning techniques

Some students donot answer questions. I ask questions, to them. If they are not able, to answer, I rephrase the same questions. I give them clues, so that they are able to answer it. I have to wait little longer. But in the end, I finally get the answer.

Cell Phones

I really thought I made it clear to my students that if they really needed to use their cell phones they need to exit the classroom. They are only to use them if it is an emergency. Students try to hide their phones while they are texting. We could be in the middle of a classroom discussion and they are called upon and of course they don't have any clue what topic we are on. What can I do to show I really don't like phones on in my class?

delivering course content

I personaly think that an instrutor should vary his or her delivering course content style by using various techiques while keeping the goals & objectives for fear of getting board.

meeting the class for the first

In my opinion, it is critical that the instructor get that first impression right the first day of class. To do so, I feel inquiring about students' background the first day is a great way to "break the ice" and get in "tune" with some of the dynamics.

planning & preparation

I truly believe that planing & prepation are at the "heart" of teaching. These two elements set the tone for students & help in making the course a success.

Testing Ideas

Involvement is key and when a student ask for assistance, I make it a class review and learning activity

Question practices

I find to start out with simpler questions will create more student participation

Ethical evaluations

The ethical/moral ideology can be one of the most difficult to instill into the students mindset, if they don’t come in with them. Many career school students lack not only ethics but the soft skills as well. I always ask my students to be ladies and gentlemen alike as well as tell them to treat each other with dignity and respect. Having them so self evaluations has also helped as well as career paths and visualization exercises.

The Kitchen Environment

I am fortunate to be teaching in an environment (the kitchen classroom) that is able to combine most learning-style delivery methods as long as I pay attention to their needs. For example, the tactile learners are cooking; frequent chef demonstrations help satisfy the visual learners; a flip chart with assignments and recipe conversions helps those who need to see it in writting; as well as constant verbal coaching and time checks. The trick is to keep all fronts working, which takes a bit of juggling.

Turning the table questions.

If I have a small class; once the students are comfortable, I will let a student teach a portion of the lesson and I will act as a student and ask questions. The students really enjoy this and want me to make it part of the regular class. They find it a lot of fun and easier to learn when they get the chance to lecture. In the beginning there are some students who have a fear of doing this but sooner or later they want to try. They have commented that they anticipate what questions I or other students may ask and prepare themselves.

Learning styles

Using as much variety in delivering one's instruction will maximize student learning and retention.

Mix and match

Would it be a good asumption to say that the way to be the most thurow and to get across to everyone would be to incorperate all these learning styles ( audio, visual,written and hands on) into your class or would it be better to mix and match trough the class? What are your thoughts?

Overcoming testing myths

Reading this section I could relate to many of the guidelines based on negative experiences from tests I have taken. I think that almost every guideline the text provided I have seen broken, and it contributes to many of the myths that students carry with them into any testing session. I have heard students bemoan the “trick” question, or look for a pattern in true/false answers. We as educators should never try to throw our students curve balls in tests or worse reinforce these concepts. We should be fair and consistent in testing, something the guides provided are a key to.

Developing soft and technical skills in parallel

Because much of what I teach is ostensibly technique based; it is important to help students develop soft skills and help them determine how to self assess themselves. Since my courses deal with art and design , it is important to remind students that I am looking at how they explain, or defend their concepts as well as how well they perform the techniques they must master. In most cases the ability to constructively discuss other work helps them to develop a methodology to criticize their own work. Often if I am unfamiliar with a cohort of students I use existing (professional) work to develop a critical discussion, skills we then develop fully in classroom critique sessions. During final project presentations, students are required to present foundations for their ideas and offer constructive and relevant criticism based on grading rubrics locking soft and technical skills together.