Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

FORMATIVE

I FIND THAT AT THE END OF EACH DAY I HAVE THE CLASS GATHER AROUND THE MAIN CHEFS TABLE. I SUMERIZE THE DAYS TOPICS AND PRODUCTS. ITS TIME FOR QUESTION AND ANSWER FROM STUDENTS. THEY CAN ALL RELATE AND I CLARIFY. RECAP!

QUESTIONING STUDENTS

WHEN YOU QUESTION A STUDENT ABOUT THE SUBJECT, MAKE SURE THAT IT IS CLEAR.

LEARNING STYLES

CAN STUDENTS ADAPT TO LEARNING ANY SUBJECT IN AN UNCOMFORTABLE ENVIRONMENT? WILL IT AFFECT THEIR EMOTION WELL BEING?

So much material in so little time

I teach one class that is excelerated and covers a massive amount of material in 3 short weeks. Each chapter in this book has up to 50 definitions as well as a history of regions. I short answer type questions regarding the history portion of the information, followed by filling in the definition pulling from a bank of answers. The test is not as easy as it appears, but is quite effective in covering so much material in so little time.

Why is knowledge of bloom's taxonomy important?

learning styles

Can students with different learning styles compliment each other in a group?

evaluation

Can formative evaluations be used alone to ealuate students?

grades

Are grades the best form for evaluating students?

Helping students reach their true potential.

How can we make our students realize their true potential.

Students who come late to or miss the first class.

Students who come late to or miss the first class. Comments?

asking questions

I have found that when starting the class each day it helps to recover the day before at the start. That way each student has an idea of what they need to review for themseleves or to ask questions on what they are unsure of.

Students identify with grades

I'm continually fascinated with how students can identify personally with the grades they earn. Their self esteem can soar with an A and plummet with a C. I try to stress that the grade is a reflection (with bias!) of their performance that one event, and NOT a reflection of their value as a person.

Questioning

If I give the students a list of questions the day before the lecture day, if I ask them to prepare their answers for the next day class could it be an appropriate technique?

tell tell tell

oral assessment can also be a usefull choice either individual or group.it is a quick,cheap , easy and efficient way of doing assessment. during group session students are exposed to different views and answer. the old fashion way still work.

Put it on them

I find that by using the Formative Evaluation Process it helps to let the student know where they are and need to be in order to be successful in my class. When all is said and done there are no surprises.

Sharing Formative Evaluation Information

I teach in a hands-on culinary classroom, and have found that doing a verbal "re-cap" at end of day can help reinforce what the students have learned, and gives all students in the class a chance to benefit from these experiences. I begin with "So, who leaned something today?" or "Who got their money's worth today?". I try to turn even the most amazing disasters into something we gain knowledge from, and to alleviate embarassment- as in "it's something we've all done (or will do)... burn the soup!". Then discuss how to take precautions or adjust techniques to avoid this in the future and, in doing so, broaden the discussion.

motivation

Students feel motivated when they know how they are performing in the class. By doing daily and end of the course evaluation my students strive to do better than they did the day before

Open Notebook

It is hard to make students take good notes during lectures and critique. I found having a suprise open notebook test on occassion will encourage them to be better at this.

Tossing questions to those not paying attention

I have always found it beneficial to students who are not paying attention to direct questions directly to them when they doze off or are not paying attention. I know the text states not to do that, but how else can you get those students engaged in the discussion when it is obvious that their minds are somewhere else.

The culinary Learner

It is no secret that many of our culinary learners are either visual or kinesthetic learners. Our stuednts must see items being produced and then must produce those items with thier own hands in order to grasp the information and learn the technique. However, in the theory classes, these techniques might not alays work. I have found that if yo can turn theory courses into hands on activities and bring that information into the visual realm rather than the auditory area, culinary students learn at a faster pace and they tend to retain more.