Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

student, teacher introductions

Before I started to teach I was always upset when the teacher had the students get up and do introductions. Being a bit shy it was always a little difficult. Now being an instructor I see the importants of introductions. The teacher gets an idea of the student and some of their background and the students get to know who each other some, without introductions they may not have made the effort.

Syllabus

I am a new instructor learning my teaching style. Regarding a syllabus, remembering back to the classes I have taken, the syllabus is the number one thing that I would look for to give me an idea of content and difficulty of the course.

Learning Styles

I like varying the styles to catch every student's interest. I am currently teaching Cost Control and I split up the class time between lectures with power point presentation, seat work, work experience sharing and board work. This way, I am able to gauge the student's grasp of the subject matter and am able to identify who I need to do one-on-one work with.

Learning styles

I think it is important to use a combination of learning styles this hopefully will help everyone.

Informing Students

The more the students understand how they are going to get to where they want to go, the more they will buy into it.

Being Ready

You have to plan ahead, however don't drive yourself nuts. Know your subject, plan for problems and be capable of changing course at time.

Communication Skills adapted for online

During this module many communication techniques were discussed related to face-to-face (f2f) instructional environments. For those of us in the Online environment, the need for quality communication skills takes on an even deeper meaning. Yes, we may need eye contact tips but via video or real time camera but when we cannot rely on eye contact we are still responsible for keeping students engaged and part of a community of learners. The deliberate nature of communication is emphasized in an async or sync environment because we must "reach out" to our students. Some things that must be considered.. How was our email response interpreted? Are we communicating without gender bias since we may not know if our learner is male or female? Will common phrases be misunderstood based on unknown cultural gaps that we can't "see". Are we posting announcements that are clear and concise? Just a few thoughts from a different perspective.

1 on 1 training with students

I found that if I offer to sit with a student after class and help them to see how to solve for a mathematical/ medication problem when they finally understand how to solve the problem it's wonderful to see the light bulb go on in these students and their level of respect goes up

Learning styles

Adapting to learning styles of the students will win buy in from the students that would ordinarily struggle. This will contribute to class control.

The Package

Students retain and apply more skills from class when the instructors are well versed in the curriculum content and the ability to educate. Having a combination of knowledge, experience and communication skills create the best learning environment for students in the classroom.

Before Class

Before I visit my classroom ahead of time - Should I be asking myself is it big enough; does it have the technology I need; how can I arrange the seating; can everyone see the board?

Creating Effective Assessments

In my opinion, effective assessments are pillars in what we do to assess comprehension and understanding. Not only it can help “check” students’ progression but also can reflect on how the information was presented.

Student Learning Assessment

Learning assessments are good tools to assess the learning progress of a class; therefore great care should be used to develop their content and reliability.

questioning as a teaching technique

In my opinion questioniong as many "gray areas" and so an instructor should review/change questions depending on an individual's/group's learning style.

teaching to learning styles

In my opinion an instructor must adjust/change his lesson plans on regular basis to be able communicate information to all types of learners.

First day impressions

I am a new teacher and relatively young when compared to the rest of staff/faculty. In fact, I am closer to the students' ages than I am to my colleagues' ages. How can I project a presence for respect and acceptability so that students will feel confident in the content that will be presented throughout the class on the first day?

TOO MUCH MATERIAL

I lecture with a power point presentation covering a lot of informatin in 30 to 45 minutes. Then I follow with a class activity between the lectures. I will need to reduce the lecture lenght to hold the attention span of the students, and plan more discussion during the lectures.

tests

using all the different types of questions (except essay) allows you to tests a lot of materail all at one time. this type of questioning is most favorable to testing the student learned material.

tests

the tests that we use are made up of all the the different types of tests discussed except assasy tests. with a mixute of different type of questions you can cover a lot of mateerial in one tests.

quizzes

quizzes can be helpful to you and your students if they are handled correctly. they should not be an exact copy of the test but should cover the immediate lesson information. this will indentify an area that may need additional instruction.