Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Individualized Employment Search Plan

Hello everyone!  I am in the process of setting up a Career Services department at an on-line university.  I'm curious as to whether anyone has an example of an individualized employment search plan that you have had success with, and that you would be willing to share.  

Thanks!

Greetings Debra,

Nice to meet you! I used to work for a 100% online university and we had a Career Serviced department that operated like a brick and mortar department.  Here's a website of great resources from the university I used to work at that you can read and gain knowledge from.  Go to the Career Services section on the website. http://onlinecareertips.com/

I work in CAreer Services department now and am actually the first full time staff in my department at my campus.  Our University just opened a campus in the location I'm working at now and it's just been 2 years.  We have other campuses, but since ours is the youngest, my role has not been established much since I started the job.  I am 2 months into my role as a Career and Student Services Coordnator.  I'm always looking to network with other Career Service Professionals. 

How about you?

Ryan Parks

Nice to hear from you Ryan - - and thanks so much for sharing.  I will definitely check out the Career Services section on the website you forwarded.  

Good luck with your new role.  What a wonderful opportunity to write your own job description.  Good luck - - and thank again.

Debra - - 

Hi Debra, 

You're welcome!  THank you for cheering me on. I wish you all the best in your role as well.  I'm sure we can definitely be resourves for one another.  I've started taking the CS101 course and so far it's been really good.  It's the one about setting up an Effective Career Services Department.  Have you taken that course yet?  Sor far, it's been really helpfuly for me because I've been able to identify things that my CAreer Services Department has already implemented and would be good to implement.  

Since our campus is so new, there's not a lot of resources in my Career Services Department, so I'm going to have to work on gathering industry specific information (the Occuplational Handback from the Department of Labor), professional development resources and books that students and graduates could find helpful in their career development. 

Since there has not been a permanent person in my role and my manager is actually not a CAreer SErvices manager, it's been interesting having to sometimes explain why I'm advocating certain resources for the Department.  That is one of the reasons I wanted to join this group; to have association from other Career Services professionals, and to share resources with others, but most importantly, to grow in my industry and to be able to apply what I'm learning at my university. 

What are you hoping to accomplish in your early stages of setting up a Career Services Department? 

I look forward to hearing from you. 

Ryan Parks

Thanks Debra!

How's everything going wth your Career Services department?  I've been taking the CS101 class and it's been really helpful.  The information about how to effectively assist students and graduates on resume writing, job searching, and how to begin the resume writing process, have been insightful for me.  I've slowly started applying what I've been learning.  

Since I'm the only Career and Student Services Coordinator in the Career Services department, it's been forcing me to get out of my comfort zone.  I work at a for-profit school, so the focus at my university lately has been on placement.  It's been a little stressful, so I'm looking forward to networking with professionals in this discussion group to get some tips on best practices that have been helpful in running an effective Career Services department. 

What do your days typically look like?

Regards,

Ryan N. Parks

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities