Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

A Valuable Experience | Origin: CS131

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Creating Work Based Learning Programs – Next Steps --> A Valuable Experience

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

The main points that I am taking away from this module is that for a WBL experience to be valuable it must have clearly defined objectives, be in an area the student has interest in, and have open communication between the student, parent, WBL Coordinator, and business. 

The module focuses on the importance of clear expectations for all parties involved, defined learning outcomes and detailed training plans.  Alignment between content and work-based application is required for a robust WBL experience. 

What I took away from this module is the need for organized processes and communication tools to ensure all stakeholders are on the same page with the experience.  In addition, the WBL/E experience must be aligned to a students vision/needs/interests in order to be meaningful.  I plan utilize this information by making sure I put together well organized and informative, and clear information throughout each step of coordinating WBL experiences. 

I think it is very important to remember that our students can lack the confidence to step into a workplace with adults and that practicing professional skills in a school setting can help build up their confidence.

My key takeaway is that experiences must be meaningful and that clear communication of expectations and intended outcomes is critical to success. I appreciate the insight on making an encounter meaningful for the businessperson through student preparation and the provision of what students need and would like to learn.

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities