Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Foundation of Trust

Building trust among the veteran student population often requires a different approach than for the general student population; what challenges have you found to be the most difficult to overcome?

First of all, I couldnt agree more that the center of a successful student/grad is the ability to establish trust and rapport. For many of our students, I feel our teams try to establish trust earlier with veteran students. This has been a positive strategy. But, the most difficult obstacle to overcome is this issue of "anxiety." Some students find it extremely difficult to make decisions - even if it just related to an internship opportunity. They do not feel comfortable in a setting where they must make decisions on their own. For many, though, the internship helps them gain confidence which bleeds into their full time job search. But, some miss out on great FT opportunities because of this anxiety. I never really thought of that before as being a reason, because they do so well in school and act very confident. But when it comes to interviews and actually accepting a great position, they freeze and come up with excuses as to why it is not the right opportunity. Some even try to continue their education into a new degree program...perhaps intentional procrastination.

Kenton, I think you have hit on something valuable. Veterans, especially those that are retiring after spending 20+ years in the military, have established a very set way of looking at the world and their opportunities for military advancement are established through hard work and then subsequent recognition. Upon entering the civilian world, they almost have too many choices and are anxious about choosing the "right" path. In the military, the path is determined by the military occupational specialty. But veterans don't have the equivalent of an military occupational specialty and hence are faced with tough choices. Internships or even probationary jobs offer both the intern and the employer a chance to try each other out. And, as you state, the GI Bill can lead to some staying in education to avoid the final choice. So, how do you think we can help fellow veterans overcome the anxiety and "take the plunge"?

Well, fortunately we have a very good career services department at each of our campus locations - all dedicated to assisting students throughout their time in school, and beyond graduation. They are able to identify students who might need more assistance/guidance through the help and team work of faculty. Together, we can work collaboratively with student (vet) - coming up with a plan of action. This way, we are able to provide an opportunity where the veteran student can uncover opportunities themselves, and connecting how their military skills can be a benefit.

That sounds like a great plan and very personal help for the veterans making the transition. In Arizona, we are attempting to do something similar by combining all of the organizations in the veteran hiring space into a network where the Veterans will have more or less a one-stop shop for job opportunities. The career services team that you have at your school is right on target and use individual competency to determine how little or how much help to provide.

Getting any student to trust you can be a challenge regardless of what their background is and where they are coming from. Adding into that mix the unique challenges that a veteran may bring to the role of being a student as they transition back into the civilian role, can complicate things.

Being able to earn the respect of the student is key to being able to successfully bridge any gaps that will exist as a result of anxiety, apprehension, and stress on the part of the student. I always give my students three " tools " that help me to establish trust with them from the very first time we interact:

1. My personal contact information, specifically my cell phone # and my e-mail address.

2. I share with them a personal story when I am doing my introduction, allowing them to learn something about me that shows that I am a person, just like them, no better, no worse.

3. A " get out of jail free " card, good to redeem at any point in class for a free pass on an assignement, no questions asked.

As a result, I am usually able to disarm most students and put them at ease when I invite them to participate in the class. Every so often though, I come across a student who is unsure of what the process of " being a student " really means outside of the tightly structured and controlled military environment(s) that they have been used to while on active duty. Being able to help the student understand that they are capable, and able to exercise discretion and decide how to proceed has sometimes been a challenge.

Gil, it seems as if you put an incredible amount of effort into your teaching. When I was a professor, I too encouraged my students to call me at home, although I did put a 2200 hours limit since I had small children at home at the time. "Get out of jail free" card is also a great option as long as you have plenty of assignments throughout the class that one assignment drop doesn't affect the final learning outcomes that you want the student to ultimately take from the class. When you come across a student who just doesn't understand what "being a student" really means, what do you do? I could see having one of these kinds of students in every class - have you run into this enough times that you have developed a good way to effectively coach these students?

I am a Career Services Advisor and also have volunteered to be the Advisor for our Student Veterans Club. As such, many students feel comfortable coming to me with their issues before informing other campus administrators. They know that I "have their back", am trustworthy, and supportive. I'm fortunate that I have connections in the veteran community through my husband's involvement and this has enabled me to communicate and interact in a positive manner with all student veterans. In fact, I have requested mental health training through my husband's contacts which has prompted our campus president to invite all instructors to attend the same training. I am proud to be associated with my campus and it's veteran-friendly atmosphere!

Sharon,

Your post indicates that you are properly poised and prepared to help our veterans transition. As you know, many veterans face what they believe are insurmountable hurdles to enter the civilian work force. Can you give me an example of how you helped a veteran overcome their obstacles and make it successfully through their transition into civilian life? Also, I have found that I learn more from those I help than what they learn from me. What have you learned from the veterans that you have helped?

Since I interact regularly with student veterans who have PTSD and have recognized the immediate need for additional information, I have secured training for myself that will be completed in the near future. I personally encouraged one student to complete a six-week leave of absence for VA medical assistance. He has since returned to his classes in a better frame of mine and usually stops in daily for a quick hello. Sometimes that is all it takes - just a welcoming, friendly, supportive staff member who takes the time to engage and listen!

Sharon,

Awesome! And you're right . . . sometimes it is the little things like taking the time to listen. Often when someone comes to me on the open door policy, I really don't have to say very much as the person I'm talking to usually works out their problem as they talk through it. Just the fact that someone took the time to care is sometimes all it takes.

Garland Williams, Ph.D.

I am a Senior Career Services Coordinator.
Gaining trust is so importance I agree. I know when I have sat down with veterans or any applicant listening is key but also moving along the conversation without being rude of obvious because that meeting could last all day. But listening is key getting that one on one time. writing out goals and what their expectations are as well as what I expect from them. Giving them the sense of ownership. What I did find hard were those that were either injured or other than dishonorably discharged. It seems as if they have their minds set on what they are going to do or not do for their career. Has anyone run into a situation where a Veteran does not want employment but they are in training and graduate? The other is a veteran that was dishonorably discharged and has that as a big dark cloud over their head?

I am a Senior Career Services Coordinator.
Gaining trust is so importance I agree. I know when I have sat down with veterans or any applicant listening is key but also moving along the conversation without being rude of obvious because that meeting could last all day. But listening is key getting that one on one time. writing out goals and what their expectations are as well as what I expect from them. Giving them the sense of ownership. What I did find hard were those that were either injured or other than dishonorably discharged. It seems as if they have their minds set on what they are going to do or not do for their career. Has anyone run into a situation where a Veteran does not want employment but they are in training and graduate? The other is a veteran that was dishonorably discharged and has that as a big dark cloud over their head?

MariaElena,

You raise a great point. Many of our service members do not have a good idea of what they want to do when they get out of the service, but they do know that our current Post 9/11 GI Bill is so lucrative that it will provide some kind of income while they meander through school trying to decide on their future. Fortunately the VA and DOD for those on active duty require some kind of degree plan to show progress. For those that are wounded warriors, you have to figure out where the line is of helping a warrior reach his career aspirations versus serving as a pseudo therapist. Wounded warriors have long term issues that they must solve and you, as a career services coordinator, cannot make those decisions about their future. But you can help facilitate their decision making. For those with other than honorable discharges, the approach is almost the same. You have to figure out a way to show them that planning for their future is vital and show them that they can overcome the issues that caused their adverse discharge. You have a tough job, but I think you have an approach that will help you and your clients succeed.

Hi Sharon,

I am glad you mentioned listening as an important factor when dealing with veterans, for me this is also first and foremost and starts the communication channel. A lot of times we tend not to listen and miss out on some key factors that these vets are trying to point out to us so that they are able to reconnect in society and offer meaningful services.

Emotional baggage is another area that I think at times create an obstacle for veterans in transitioning into civilian world. Being able to create empathy is another way to foster smooth transitioning and a foundation of trust.

Trying to identify and validate emotional baggage is key with veterans. To move on with their life the emotional baggage that has been accumulated from either downrange deployment or from life in general must be dealt with in a healthy and positive manner. Then they can focus on immediate life needs and their future. Counselors must work at recognizing the signs of emotional baggage, use their listening skills to help the veteran own their past, and then work positively with the veteran to move forward to the next goal.

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities