Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Online exit interviews

Has anyone had greater success with online exit interviews than paper/pencil? I find that many adult learners are somewhat intimidated by technology and still prefer paper and pencil.

Deborah,

I agree w/ your statement. We use paper exits as well. Do not wait until the last day to do exits or you will have trouble gathering all that you need. It is mandatory to do an exit before receiving Placement assistance and the registrars office will not give a student their Diploma until they exit w/ me. This is our schools policy to guarantee placement success. You will need the support of your co workers to make placement a success.

Gina

Gina and Deborah
Good points. Students and grads should welcome placement assistance. Some don't. But the bottom line is you are required to assist with employment skills and job placement as your regulatory bodies have requirements your school needs to meet. So why not make placement activities a requirement? Best wishes, Susan

Interesting question Deborah. We feel that one of the purposes of an exit interview is develop and enhance the relationship with the grad. In that way it is easier to follow up re placement and let them know about new programs and courses they can enroll in. So online exit interviews just sounds counterproductive to us. Best wishes, Susan

I've never tried online exit interviews. I really like the idea of it being in person and personal. I think the soon to be graduate gets a feeling that you are truly interested in helping them and only builds on forming a relationship. This "getting to know you" process is what really helps me in matching the right job with the right graduate. I don't know if I would be able to work as effectively by using the online interview.

Hi Lani
You make some good points. But we feel it's necessary to keep open about anything on line. Even interviews that are typically face to face. People are getting better at online communication. It improves their thinking and writing skills. And sometimes online may be the only way to conduct the exit interview. Thanks, Susan

I prefer, as well as the graduates, face to face exit interviews. It gives me the opportunity to review their resumes once again before we send them, to review business attire, to conduct mock interviews, to determine what areas they are willing to drive to and to discuss pay and other information. I truly enjoy spending the time to get to know the graduates before they leave.

Sounds like you really love your job, Kerrie. And you are doing a great job. Face to face is a great way to communicate and facilitate. Are there other ways to have these meetings throughout the student's school experience in addition to the exit interview? Thanks, Susan

I do love my job and Thank You! We do offer mock interviews for the Career Development class and the Career Management. We are in the process of offering resume workshops and interview workshops for all students, not just upcoming graduates. Do you have any suggestions that would help me think of additional ways to meet with students?

You're doing great. Ask for 5 - 10 minutes of class time periodically. Hold an open house at the career department. Stay in front of the faces of all your students. Post current info about the job market. Keep updating it. Keep letting them know you offer a variety of resources. Susan

We have incorporated an online exit interview, which instantly provides more information on further classes if requested. The online exit interview will add the student's name to the contact manager. Very helpful to continue our communication effort!

Hi Robert
An online exit interview sounds interesting. Does it increase completion of the exit interview? Is the survey completely filled out? What information do you think is missing as a result of no personal interaction with the grad? We wonder if there shouldn't be an online interview and also one in person. When you gather contact information it does give you the opportunity to stay in touch with the grad. Is that happeneing? We would love to know more about how this strategy is working for the school and the grads. Thanks, Susan

I agree, I prefer face to face interviews and feel a student just going out into the field would like to see the facility and meet the person in charge.

Good point Brenda. There are times for in-person chats and other times when online and even phone work well. Students probably appreciate a face-to-face at least once. It gives the interviewer the opportunity to learn more about the student through body language, etc. Thanks. Susan

It seems that the concept of the exit interview is great. Unfortunately at our facility we are having a poor response to our online survey, as well as to the written ones.

Hi Sindiana
Exit interviews are challenging via email. Even phone would be better. The ideal exit interview is prior to graduation. Some schools even have pre-exit interviews. That helps ensure the student is on track, that you have necessary exit paperwork, and surveys are completed. Thanks, Susan

Sign In to comment
Related Learning Opportunities