Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Parent and student

Having the support of the parent I found is so important to a dependent student's success. Having the parent and student both understand the application process is so important.

Jessica,

Agree, a student and parent being in sync on the educational process is critical. The more the parties understand the greater the chance of success.

Sincerely, Chyrl

Chyrl Ayers

I think support is important for all students. While having that parental support when you are a dependent student can give you the push you need and the support when you dont understand things. I think older students returning to school or starting school later in life need that support to. It can at times get discouraging in a class of younger students if you ar more mature and may not be catching on a quickly, you may need that extra encouragement from family to continue and not give up.

Nichelle,

You comments are very important since we sometimes forget how difficult it may be to older students returning for additional or re-education into a new field of study. It is important for all of the campus staff to look for signs of discouragement and lift of these students.

Sincerely, Chyrl

Chyrl Ayers

The best situation would include the student and parent meeting with the FA representative together . Critical information is sometimes lost in the relaying of information to each other . When all parties are on the same page (student,parent and institution) it tends to make a more stream line process for all and intern eliminating possibly stress and anxiety especially if this is the students first experience with financial aid.

I like for the parent to be in the office with the student so they have a full understanding of the process.

It is really important that the parent and student have a clear understanding of why a student is classified as dependent or independent. In cases where the student is living independently but does not meet the DOE requirements (main,y age, under age 24) I find is difficult for families to understand and can cause difficulty in getting the student packaged

Sign In to comment