Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Exit Interview process

I find getting the students to keep appointments for the exit interview is a challenge. And when they do show up they want to rush right through. We have started doing our exit interviews many weeks prior to graduation and it seems to help.

Lora,

I think you bring up a good point. Trying to get their full attention on something when they are about ready to graduate can be difficult since they probably have many other things on their mind as well, such as getting a job, maybe having to move. I can be a challenge and timing can play an important factor.

Cheryl Kesson

One suggestion is to make the information personally relevant. If exit interviews consist of generic handouts students are more likely to ignore them, and online exit quizzes are certainly easy to rush through. However, if students are provided with packets created specifically for them, and we engage in conversation about their current employment status, goals, and plan for repayment we may see better retention.

Other suggestions I have liked involve games and activities during the session, as well as multimedia content that engages all types of learners. This sort of one-on-one service is certainly not possible for all schools, but we should be able to personalize our presentations to some degree.

No matter how fast they want to rush through it we must never let them do this because it hurt them in the long run.

Troy,

I have seen this in my own life and in the experiences of friends. Students often think they already know everything they need to know, or feel that the information simply does not apply to them (too many, no matter how many times we warn them to the contrary, still believe they will stumble into a magical loan forgiveness program or find an employer that will pay off their loans).

It is great that you are able to take the time to really work with the students to enhance their understanding.

Kellee Gunderson

We complete our Exit Counseling as part of the student's curriculum, during the normal class schedule several weeks before graduation. This way, the Exit Counseling is done with the group as a whole, and very rarely is there a student missing. One on one counseling is provided if necessary.

JoAnne,

Your participation rate for Exit Counseling is impressive! This is a great example of how smooth the process can be when FA is supported by and integrated into the rest of the school, e.g. making FA part of the curriculum.

A few of our recent participants noted a concern that students in group sessions may never come back to discuss confusing or personal topics one-on-one. Do you have any suggestions on how to identify the need for individual counseling and ensure that it occurs?

Kellee Gunderson

I set up the Exit Interview at her class.

We persent this information in part in one of the final courses that all student have to have on our campus. We also invlove the Carer service department in this presentation. At this time we will make an appointment for them to meet with the Business Officer thats does the final check out. If they fail to meet the appoimtment we can put a hold on their graduation regalia.  I have found it works well.

Sign In to comment