Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Sending Out good Credit letters

Does anyone feel like this will actually help a student continue paying on a loan?

Using positive reinforcement is a great way to establish good habits. If you can keep students on track while they are in school you are helping them to learn good habits. This leaves them with a positive experience that will hopefully stay with them moving forward. It also helps form a good relationship so that if they do run into trouble in the future they know they have someone they can turn to for assistance.

Yes I do. This could be a huge step for some of our people. Once someone gets a taste of achievement, who knows what can happen

shawn,

You are so right! Sometimes students enroll in our schools because we are their last effort before giving up. When we help them succeed and achieve, they soar and they have positive life-changing experiences. That is the power of higher education in action!

Diana Mateer

I think this is a great idea and one I had not thought of. Students quite often ask about building their references when they come in for financial aid advisement. What a wonderful way to encourage them as well as verify their address.

Maggie,

I am glad you like the idea. It is an easy way to foster a positive relationship with the student and help lead them to long term sucess.

Cheryl Kesson

We do this at the school I work for and it has had an impact on some students. Even though it may seem like it only helps one or two people here and there that's still better than getting zero results. Plus the students who do benefit from them let you know and that is rewarding as well.

I think this is a great idea. This will definitely help the student when they repay their student loan back and help build up good credit.

Wendy,

We have heard from several schools whose students make regular payments toward tuition or private loans, and all agreed that providing positive feedback has been helpful. If students learn to budget for monthly education expenses early in their enrollment, they will be ready when their federal loans come due. Taking the time to acknowledge students' efforts communicates the importance of respecting obligations, and sets up the FA office as a friendly place to go when problems or questions arise.

Kellee Gunderson

Sign In to comment