Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Gathering student information...

Consider why it is beneficial to obtain borrower contact and reference information throughout the student's academic career. Identify steps you can take to improve your information gathering strategies.

Some methods we use to collect reference information:
- at time of graduation ask them for three names of peeople that would like to receive a notice of the student's successful completion of their program-- it is good marketing and it is also a way to get reference information
- we ask for "emergency contact info" when the student is initially signing their contract with us-- these emergency contacts are also references that can be used to trace (if required)

When I show the Financial Aid Exit Film, I ask the students to supply the school with any additional references. I also ask them to add any cell phone numbers and email addresses where they might be reached to their exit forms. If the sutdent is currently employed, I ask that they supply the name, address and phone number of their employer.

During the exit interview, we require students to fill out a new reference form. Usually this gives us additional names and address than was originally furnished during the initial interview.

I like the idea of updating the information and a module or quarterly basis.

Updating information at the exit interview is very important. In addition, students may be more forthcoming with reference information during the enrollment process, and as part of the preparation for a graduation ceremony.

Many of our schools go into a "freshman" class around the third week of the term. At that point, the new students have absorbed their new environment and we may get better attention from them.

Also, if we have discovered bad references, it gives us a chance to have the student edit or add references.

We also collect updated information at the exit interview. Most of our student have to do an externship at the end of their program so we require them to meet with each department prior to going out on extern. When they meet with FA, we have them do an Exit Interview and I audit the file to make sure everything is complete.

It is important to obtain the greater data of the student from its interview of entrance and to indicate to them that whenever is a change of its personal information like for example direction, telephone, place of work, etc. In order to be able to have but options of where to be able to obtain to the student.

It is extremely important to collect updated contact and reference information; should the student drop, collecting this pertinent information will help locate the borrower and prevent a potential defaulter.

There are several times when we ask for updated information. (1) Entrance, (2) prior to externship and (3) prior to graduation.

Hi Kellee:

How does your school conduct their exit interviews? Typically we conduct our exits on and one on one basis.

We have observed that our clients take a variety of approaches for entrance and exit interviews, depending on the size of the school, the size of the Financial Aid office, the programs offered, etc. I am always interested to hear what works best for different institutions.

I think shools will be more effective with solid references if they follow up with the references to verify if they are real or fake.

Since we mail out grades four times a year, we are able to tell (and take action) when we have bad addresses for current students. Perhaps we should call all of the contacts listed when a student first begins, to be sure that they are all valid. Then we could take a sample every two or three quarters just to make sure that we continue to have some "good" contact information. Of course just because you can reach people doesn't mean that they will be of any help in tracking down a defaulting student!

There are several reasons why it is important to collect reference information throughout the enrollment period of the student. More often than not, students lose contact with friends or family they have listed and may have built new friendships with those they attend school with. Email addresses and cell phone numbers should also be listed for emergency contacts. The more information that is gathered the better for students and references. To repeat the process at regular intervals makes it more likely that you will have current information to work with if you have to locate the student.

Andrea brings up a great point! We have not discussed this previously, but it is an excellent observation that borrowers will build new relationships throughout the course of their education. This is another important reason for requesting new references whenever possible.

Gathering information is crucial. We need to implement a plan that takes advantage of every student contact by all school employees to make the effort to ask if student information is correct. The more people updating, the better the chance of having usable data to contact students for whatever needs to be done.

The bottom line is that you can't help those students who you can't find. As in any business, accurate and current data is essential.

Gathering and verifying as many personal contacts as possible during the students academic career is important for collection of federal student loans as well as institutional loans. Additionally, current contact information impacts other areas of the school to include placement, student services and alumni activities. Even after graduation, we are responsible for collecting student loans. Steps we can take to gather current contact information include:
*Continual periodic requests for current contact information (such as phone number, address, email, references, etc.). Requests can be made upon enrollment, quarterly thereafter during their academic career, upon completion of the program, three months after graduation, and six months after graduation.
*Ensuring collection of contact information is accurate and double-checked at the point of contact to include admissions, financial aid, education, placement and student services.
*Ensuring contact information requires additional references to be obtained.
*Utilize obtained references on a personal level to congratulate parents on acceptance, or to announce graduation, etc.

Currently, we get references when paperwork is first filled out and then at the time of the exit interview. With Perkins though, they get references each time paperwork is filled out.

I liked some of the suggestions that I read in the Topic 2 area. I think contacting the references when we get them is a great idea. People are more apt to help and talk to someone they have heard of or talked to before.

I think getting references more often is another great idea and is not something that would take a great deal of time to do. I think getting teachers to collect information during test time is another great idea.

Brenda

At our exit interviews I have noticed that students are reluctant to put down reference information. They ask the question are you going to be calling these people? I think the best times to get this information is at enrollement and through periodic updates.

Sign In to comment