Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Being consistant can prevent any triggers for program reviews.

Standardize the process and implementing improvement plans will prevent a program review a school

Mary,

A standardized process is beneficial to a successful operations and it will insure that all departments are aware of standard operating procedures.

Are there other measures your college can take to prevent program reviews? Your thoughts.

Chyrl

I do not think that being consistent can prevent every trigger for program review. It probably can lessen unwanted attention by Department of Education, but there are some factors for which program reviews are inevitable. A change of ownership, sudden increase/decrease of loan volume are some of the examples. We, FA Administrators have to be on top of the current regulations/procedures, and communicate with all the departments of the school. Also keeping a good audit trail and log for any of our work will help us deal with the program review if it were to take place.

I agree, when you constantly changing the process you are likely to make a mistake which can be cause for a program reiews.

Elsia,

Sometmes it is necessary to make changes and the proper documentation on why the change occurred is a great way to avoid issues later on. It is important that we prepare and document all policies and procedures in case we need to provide these in a program review.

Thanks, Chyrl

I agree that any deviations from policy should be fully documented and signed by the appropriate school personnel. For instance, if we ever deviate from our institutional refund policy, the Director of the school always signs the form explaining why we made the deviation. We were told once in an accrediting visit that having the Director's signature was very important if we deviated from our regular institutional policies.

Kim,

I apologize for my delayed response to your comments. I have been out of town and unable to access my system.

Your response was excellent. Having all parties affected by changes in procedures review, sign, and implement is a great plan. This will enable all memebers of the team to be familiar with the requirements. Also, it is an opportunity for all staff to ask questions and seek clarification.

Chyrl

Standardization is the key.

Christa,

Standardization is important and it does make it easier to handle situations in the FA Office; however, it is important to have flexibility when dealing with unusual situations. I prefer to focus my standardized processes on documents and procedures related to the FA processs and evaluate the student's needs independently.

Chyrl

Proper procedures in the financial aid office are important, but this is a complicated process and I think it is possible for any of us to make mistakes. I think one key is for more than one person to review each file. We also have a check off list in each file to insure that the required documents are in the file; for example, verification documents, entrance interviews,etc.

Joyce,

Your suggestion on more than one set of eyes is excellent. In the past I have worked with institutions that had a multi-tier approach to the FA files (and other files admission, academics, etc.). These institutions had one level of processors who collected the documentation and prepared the file and a senior level reviewer who reviewed the documentation for compliance. These institutions were very successful in eliminating conflicting information or discrepancies.

Sincerely, Chyrl

I think that implementing improving plans will not prevent a program review but it will help run things smoothly at your campus. Futhermore program reviews are sometimes necessary for the advancement of your school.

I agree. Putting processes in place and consistently enforcing them will eventually become a very healthy habbit and this consistency will lead to better managing the guidelines set by the department.

Sharon,

Do you have any processes in place that your could share that be beneficial to other FA Offices? It has been my experience that some of the best ideas come from other FA Administrators and how they handle their students. It is important to have processes and to test these to insure their effectiveness. I would rather test my internal controls prior to a review by an outside agency.

Sincerely, Chyrl

Our school has just recently begun the process for approval for FA. Are there any suggestions as to an efficient way to begin tracking reports that will be needed in the coming year?

Sign In to comment