Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Importance of completing an Education

Discussion on how the Financial Aid process is effected when a student decides to withdraw from school and tries to re-enter.

Peggy,

RTIV effects all students who withdraw from school and tries to re-enter. Have you had to make changes to the financial aid process at your institution due to RTIV? If so, what changes have you made?

Thanks, John

It is not so much the impact that the RTIV has on the student, and changes we have to make. It is the impact that withdrawing and re-entering has on the student's Title IV eligibility that concerns me.

Thanks

Peggy

Peggy,

Good comment. What are some of your concerns?

Thanks, John

It does have an impact on their Title IV eligiblity, as well as the process.

Students that withdraw and then re-enter make it very difficult for the Financial Aid department due to having to process the student various times.

Overlapping loan periods and delayed completion of courses. It also affects disbursement of funds when the student is a "revolving door."

Have an impact on their Title IV eligiblity

Our school has recently implemented a modular curriculum. This has drastically affected our drops and transfers. The overlapping loan periods and adjusting the disbursements are tedious, but we are adjusting to it.

I have tried to use the RTIV as a retention tool to prevent potential drops. When students come to me and mention dropping, I show them the financial consequences and remind them of how much they've put into the program - financially and otherwise. Once they realize how vested they really are, they work harder and stay in school.

Melanie,

It seems you have developed an effective tool to keep your students in school. It is important that your students understand the financial ramifications of withdrawing from school.

Thanks, Chyrl

It is always a concern when a student withdraws and Title IV funds have to be refunded. An impact on Title IV eligibility would depend on when the student re-enters.

Patricia,

It is troubling to see any student withdraw and especially the negative impact it might have to their FA funding upon return. It is important for the department processing the RT4 and refunds due to be on top of the regulatory requirements.

Thanks, Chyrl

I've seen cases where a student has to start classes at a later date or start as only a part time student because there wasn't enough funding available because of their transfer. The student doesn't always like these options.

Janele,

It is important to make the student aware of his/her options so that they can make an informed decision. However, it is difficult to see a student make decisions that may have a negative impact on their ability to finance their education. The best we can do is proved the student with accurate information and counsel them on the impact of certain decisons.

Thanks, Chyrl

When a student wants to withdraw, we sit with them and try to talk to them about how much time and money they have spent. Usually it changes their mind.

Christa,

I agree with your approach. It is wise for a student to have all of the facts before they make a decision that could have long term consequences. They need to understand the positive and negative aspects of the decision.

Chyrl

Not only how much money they have spent but how much money they may end up owing out of pocket because of the timing of their withdrawal. That usually works to change their minds.

Jose,

It is critical that students are provided with all facts when deciding on whether to complete or terminate their education. Many students will reevaluate their priorities when faced with the consquences of withdrawing. All members of the education team should provide the student with the necessary information to make the right decision.

Thank you for your participation in our online training program and I wish the best in all of your personal and career endeavors. Chyrl

Our school doesn't just rely on one department to talk to the student. It goes back on daily contact with the students through the Education Department, Admissions is also responsible for weekly contact until the student has completed 30 days and if it still comes down to the student withdrawing we usually try to DNE them so we can just reenroll them at a later date and it doesn't affect their TIV but if we do have to Drop them in most cases they usually failed their last class so we ask that they take it over (audit the class) to show good faith and commitment then if they pass we will repackage them as a Re-Enter.

Becca,

It takes all departments working to together to meet the needs of the student body and their needs vary from student to student. Communication (both verbally and written) is the best tool to ensure that each area is working to solve a student's issue. It is important for the departments to meet and exchange ideas on how to better meet the needs of the student body.

Best wishes in your continued growth in financial aid and online education.

Sincerely, Chyrl

Sign In to comment