Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Student motivation

This training was helpful in learning about specific  issues that influence students motivation in the classroom and strategies to apply to faciliate student motivation, improve self perceptions about their abilities, and overall performance.

In order to motivate students , you must always engage them by giving examples and have them "touch, hear and verbalize what they are doing in regaeds to there proffesion so that they will understand fully what it is that they will do in they're carreers.

When instructors encourage motivation in students it creates a paradigm shift due to the fact that our perception of ourselves also come from outside influences. The more students believe they can accomplish, the more they aspire to accomplish.  Hence, reflects in their assignments and toward future career aspects.

I think that sometimes students get bored with doing the same thing from class to class. I just took the ED117 course about teaching Gen Y. My experience it that this generation has gotten away from making things with their hands. Even though most are clumsey in doing  certain hand-related activities, most generally enjoy the diversion and experience of doing something with their digits instead of digitally.

@ramsey75 :I also found the course helpful with student modivation.

@ramsey75 : This course helped me understand how some students think critically and analytiaclly.

@rroman :Ronald, I definitely agree that students get bored doing the same thing from class to class. It is imperative that we work to bring the content alive to students. In my situation, I teach the sciences and that is easy to bring that world alive to my students. We just go outside and visit and research a new ecosystem! How much fun is that?
Lots!!!!!!!!!

Susanne

I found the course (104) very insightful. I will definietely utilize the strategies for handling disruptive and quiet students when applicable in the future.

@ramsey75 :

@rroman :

I agree with this.  I'm kind of embarrassed to admit it, but most of my teaching has been centered around lecturing for 95% (or sometimes even more) of the entire class periods.  This course has definitely encouraged me to creatively seek multiple methods to engage & expose my students to as many different looks as possible to the academic material being presented.

@ramsey75 :Agree with all the comments.  This course has enlighten me regarding the different teache modalities available to make our students successful.   I liked that it gave examples of what our role is an the instructor.

This is very helpful and motivating. If the teacher is not motivated...how can the students be motivated. Learned a lot to take into the classroom.

Giving real worls examples for my lectures has always been a way that I motivate my students.  It shows them that there are real applcations for the classes, and that they are not just words and pretty pictures in the book.  They tend to sit up and take notice when real examples are presented to them, and their attention becomes wider.

@LKatsumata : I agree. 

This was very helpful in continuing my eduacation in my teaching career! Thank you very much!!

@LKatsumata : I totally agree. If the instructor is nonmotivated and just in the classroom for a paycheck the motivation level of the students will not be there. We always have to remember to put ourselves in the students place. If it was my education I would want a motivational instructor who is truely invested in my education and who motivates me to come to class.

Sign In to comment