Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Active Learning Methods

What passive lectures have you turned into active learning lessons?  I've done a lot with making reviews before exams or quizzes more active by having the students create their own tets and then take each others's tests as practice on a review day. 

@ianlande :That soundslike a great idea. I use Jeopardy as well-theyconstruct the gane, the questions and the answers-we let it rest for awhile and then come back to it-amazing what they forget, say over the weekend! (0:

Games like jeopardy provide a great practice forum for many learning scenarios. There are many forms of beneficial practice. This is a tried and true principle of education in many settings.

The 'new' setting of the "flipped classroom" in the hybrid/blended model is well aligned with this principle. It adds the value of enhancing the practice with supervision of the subject matter expert. This can provide for early intervention to diminish/eliminate wrong practice and unlearning.

I write reviews for the students, and also give home quizzes, which encourages them to read the chapter on their own.  I also incorporate research papers which students then have to present  in front of the class.  The research as they say makes them more aware of the sujects studied and they like that.

@FRobinson : @ianlande : I like this method. How do you have the students make thier own test ?@ianlande :

@FRobinson : I have tried this method. It  has really works well for my students. They seems to enjoys this. They really present the material well to thier entire class. I enjoy listening to thier many different aspects on the subject matter.

I use Jeopardy also and the students love it.  They also enjoy 'Who wants to be a Millionaire".  I like the idea of having the students make up their own test questions and take each other's tests as a review.  I am definitely going to try that. Thanks!

Sign In to comment