Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Module 209

I have always believed that our customers are anyone whom we come into contact with.  After completing this module not only was that reaffirmed, but I learned about different advising techniques.  I am honest and to the point and I base this on the individual rather than a hard fast rule.

i like the idea of student as a customer

The courses are easy to navigate, but I have become lost in the "Lounge."   Having completed the lesson #ED-209, I appreciated the methods of evaluating types of advising.  I also strongly identify with the concept of Adult Learner, specifically "Self-motivated" or "Self-directed learner."  It has been my personal experience that the self-directed (often older) learner is the one most easy to instruct (teach).  It would be (personally) impossible to study such a course and not apply many of the concepts to myself, although I believe the emphasis was obviously toward our approach to our students, whom I believe are (or should be) our customers.  

I have observed what happens when a student is not regarded as a customer by an instructor or even by a director of an educational program.  Students easily sense authentic and genuine caring, just as they also easily sense when a teacher or administrator does not care.  Often, the outcomes of such negative regard for students is hostility and at least, very bad ratings of the school, the program, and of course, of the instructor or administrator.    We teachers can all do better than that! 

In an educational setting the students are customers, the product we provide is education.  Like any other customer the students feel satisfied when their needs/expectation are met.  Although the student is paying for the service and has the right to voice his/her concerns, in this setting the customer is not always right.   Also it is the instructor’s responsibility to deliver the highest quality of service possible.

Students are customers whom I value. That said, for many years I went way above and beyond to provide good customer service and when there was nothing more to offer I would get push back. I give a little less now and that way when I make an exception to the rule, I have something to offer.

@kbrew : I used to weigh my words more careful as to not offend anyone with the realization that my students are customers. What I was trying to communicate to them, they still werent getting it. I have learned more direct communication skills and if they seem upset in anyway, I follow up with "I wouldn't be doing a good job for you if I didn't address this issue". It seems to be working better for me.  :)

@JulieOrihoodstaffmiamijacobsedu :

I teach my students that it does not matter what job youre in you will always be in customer service, In my opinion there is not a business in this wold that does not have a customer.

@mmacias : We are all customers in one way or the other the students are customers and we are there customers all of us get something from each other.

@gcoleman : Our students are definitely customers. They desedrve quality for their money. Many are making great personal sacrifices in order to better themselves and their work posotion. As instructers we should come prepared and ready to do our best.

Sign In to comment