Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Challenging Students

Finding ways to truly assess the skill level of students is challenging. Recently we have incorporated the use of several instructors to analyze student's skills ranging from class participation, soft skills, intrinsic motivation, cooperative skills, leadership qualities, etc. After several instructors rate the student, the results are compiled and then a one on one meeting is set up with the student and the program coordinator. The main focus of the meeting is to focus on three strengths and three opportunities for the student to work on for the next three quarters and at that time the evaluation will be conducted again.

Any thoughts from the group on suggestions? Thus far the results have been very productive. One student in particular was greatly challenged by his confrontational demeanor and he didn't realize his behavior influenced others in a negative manner. Though the initial information was shocking and he was unsure on how to react, he decided to be accountable for his success and has made strides since the initial meeting.

Hello Katrina,

Your method of in-depth student evaluation seems very good.  In my limited experience with multiple-instructor evaluations, we looked at inter-rater reliability.  Our study was rather close, with negative and positive comments matching from instructor to instructor.   This process got me reading about the Inter-rater reliability concept.  Education is a fascinating combination of science and art.

Katrina,

I am a new instructor of a new respiratory therapy program at an adult career school.  Myself and my fellow instructors are experiencing a similar situation as you with a student and I feel that your approach is fantastic!  Is their any way you could share with me more of your team of instructor's insight on your evaluation skills and formative evaluation tools for your students?  We are interested in incorporating this into our program to evaluate our students each term.  Any suggestions and evaluation tools would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you,

Katrina Woolson

KATRINA, YOUR METHODS ON ANGRY STUDENTS AND QUIET STUDENTS ARE VERY PRACTICAL.i PLAN TO USE THEM.hAVING THE STUDENT'S WRITE DOWN THEIR GRIEVANCES ABOUT A TEST GRADE OR SOME OTHER DIFFICULTY THEY MAY BE HAVING IS A GREAT CONCEPT.i PLAN TO START USING IT.THANK YOU

Greetings,

I find that regularly assessing the students practical skills is highly recommended; We also incorporate this as part of a final examination prior to their clinical attendance for the first time.  it also prepares them for the actuality in patient care.

Would you think a weekly or bi-weekly classroom participation rubric would be benificial?  Although students are awarded points based upon their participation, perhaps another measure is needed to show students how positive or negative the participation is... or better yet, allow students to score individual discussion posts for creditbility, usefulness, and substance. 

I like the idea of letting the student evaluate the process i do this on friday i do what is good and what is bad it gives the students an ear for them to vent on waht they liked and what they did not like. I believe it gives thema sense of owner ship in making the class better for the future.

Christina, I use a weekly rubric for classroom attendance, participation, and professionalism. The rubric correlates to traits the student should acquire or hone prior to going out into the work environment. The nice part is that many of the traits are good traits to have in their personal life as well. The five main categories or traits are: Punctuality, Effort (engagement), Attitude (postive character traits), Readiness (preparedness), and Listening Skills; put it all together and you have a PEARL.  

Sign In to comment