Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

ED310

This was a wonderful course on how to present new ways of learning terminology to students. I have many new ways to help students with learning terms in a fun and interesting way that will not have them falling asleep in class.  This course is always a difficult course to teach since it has many terms that need to be introduced to the student, and the student retaining the meaning of each word for more than a few minutes.  Thanks for the wonderful suggestions.

Lisa, I agree this was a good course with a range of activities to make learning medical terminology fun. I wish I could have had Medical Terminology as a class when I was in nursing school. I am amazed that it isn't offered as such-- nursing students are expected to do rote memorization, but it would be so much easier to teach if it was broken down into the various word parts or word structures. I have always encouraged my students to use flash cards to learn terminology and  more (i.e. procedures). I have often used the Concentration (matching terms and definitions), but I have also included a "solve that puzzle (picture)" with the Concentration/Memory game. I have also incorporated using a "Jeopardy" and "Who wants to be a great MA (play on Millionaire)" formats to help the students learn terminology, facts, procedures, etc...

Lisa, I also agree that this is a good course with a lot of good ideas to make teaching medical terminology a little more exciting. I actually already use the word searches, BINGO, crossword puzzles, etc. in class now. They offer a welcomed change to the traditional lecture environment, while still offering a learning environment. I also find these games to be a good tool for the nontraditional learner because they are non-threatening activities.

I use  a website called study stack.com.  I'm sure most of you have heard of it.  On this website one can put any vocab word or medication and insert it into a crossword or wordsearch puzzle.  It also provides "index" matching or printable quizzes.  The best part about this website is it is available to students.  It includes a variety of games as well.  Love it!

Maryrose, thank you for the website information.  I am a new instructor and had not heard of this site.  I just looked it over and I know it is a site I will visit.  Thank you, again

I enjoyed the interesting information ED310 presented.  I have recently started to use games in the classroom, but I have found the students are very receptive to the competition.  Another instructor and I combined our classes to compete against each other using a Password game as a review for the final.  It was one of my favorite moments as an instructor as my class was the winner.  The students said it was awesome r/t the fact that they felt that they really knew the information I had taught them throughout the quarter.  I've also used a Hollywood squares game in my class and it was so much fun.  Anytime learning can be made fun I am all for it.  I look forward to using the information presented in 310 and also the study stack.com to assist the incorporation of more games in the class.

Really enjoyed the information that I received.  I have large classes and being able to be diverse in presenting med term material is enabling me to reach students who may otherwise have been lost with lecture and powerpoint only. My students love doing boardwork and Jeopardy...and now I have more tools to use to engage them.

The idea of studystack.com is a good suggestion.  It looks as though the students can access it on a variety of devices as well which is awesome.  So I suppose the instructor could create the cards and then the students can just access them as needed.  Students are now starting carry around their eReaders with them to school.  So that is a great way to review and carry the info with them.  Plus students love having the "techie" connection with their instructors. Thanks for sharing the website.

Group activities are important in learning. This allows the learners to become more engaged in the learning atmosphere  without realizing they are actually learning. During the test, they may become frozen on a question, but they remember one of the learning activities and the light bulb comes on and they remember the concept from the group activities. I enjoyed this course, it gave me new ideas in engaging my learners during diffucult lectures. I especially enjoyed the ball toss, in fact I plan on using this for a review scheduled today. Thanks

though,I have not taken this course, but the blog did did bring up some very interesting ways to engage students,I usually keep a soft ball in class, and as soon as I see that the lecture is somewhat becoming boring, I change my venue,,and we start a game of throw ball, who ever has caught the ball will answer a question to the recent topic of our discussion/lecture.this keeps the students on alert,if a student answers correctly, there is a small reward, a candy or chocolate.

I really enjoyed this course and printed almost every activity. I am eager to start using them in the classroom. I teach dental assisting and the students are not required to take medical terminology. These activities will be very beneficial when teaching dental terms.

This course gave me ideas to use in all of my classes, not just medical terminology.  I routinely teach anatomy/physiology and pharmacology.  Talk about dry content that needs an occasional pick me up! I have had games that I have used in the past but this course gave me a whole new group of activities to choose from to give it variety.  I can always adapt the information that I've used in the other activities to a new one so the prep time really is not increased by a lot.  I am excited to start using some of these new ones!

As a new instructor and coming from a culture with classic methods of teaching, I found this course full of ideas.

I really enjoyed taking this course. I'm excited to start using some of the activities.

Sign In to comment