Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Deanna,

Like you, I became a career college instructor without formal education in teaching.  I felt comfortable and competent with the subjects I was teaching because it was my career for 25 years.  But, I was unprepared for all the other activities involved in preparation, delivery, organization, etc. It was quite refreshing to find out that I was already applying some of the things in ED101 in the classroom.  This course also gave me better insight on handling students individually and as a group.

Like Deanna, I too am becoming a career college instructor with no formal education in teaching. I practiced in the profession that I will be instructing in for over 12 years, and felt confident in my skills, I was always striving to improve and grow.  I have not been practicing for the last 5 years, so I'm reading and doing internet research to get up to date with all the latest changes.    I feel nervous about applying what I know, preparing for, and anticipating student questions, but I learned alot from ED101, so I'm hoping to apply this and become an effective , confident instructor.

ED110 couldn't have come at a better time.

I'm in the process of getting organized with work, a new business, home and planning a move.

All during the holidays!

It helps to have new ideas and even some reminders.

We all know how to eat healthy, but putting it to practice isn't always automatic.

Thanks for polishing my tools.

I too enjoyed this course.  I am just starting my second year of teaching after 25+ years of professional experience in the field of physical therapy.  I loved the idea of standing outside of class and greeting students as they come in, since as a relator, this will help me to connect with the students early on to enhance my confidence and willingness to be vulnerable.

i agree with most of the posts above.  I too am new to teaching.  I was used to lecturing professionally at conferences where people are paying to be there and truly want to learn.  Being in a classroom where some students simply look like they would rather be anywhere in the world other than class was difficult.  Wanting to succeed and have students be as passionate as i am myself.  This course helped me re-focus on what I want to accomplish.

I have learned just finished 101, and i have been given great insight on how to start my first day of class.

I enjoyed the course. It was insiteful and I gained new ideas for teaching.

I felt real value in taking ED101. Being a first time instructor I found some sound advice to help me at my task!

It was a great course, will definitly use tools that were provided.

This Module was a *great* Refresher course for me!

ED101 was a great course and I truly enjoyed it.  It was very informative and gave me several ideas to use in the future.

I am happy to have taken this class as I am new to teaching as well and I have been questioning my teaching skils.  In taking this course I now know that I am definitely on the right track and have gotten some new ideas as well!  

Course was alright.

I was very appreciative to have had access to this very well organized course.  Although interesting, at times the course seemed to make a lot out of the obvious. I enjoyed the addition of the short classroom videos.

I just finished ED101. This was a great course to take especially since I am fairly new to teaching. It gave me some ideas for organization and evaluation of the students during the lecture to determine how well they are retaining the information.

I think all knew instructors should take this course during their probation period.

I think this course is a good basic primer for all teachers in career colleges.

This course is great for teachers beginning their career.

This was a great course for me.  I am a new instructor and not originally from the education field.  IT served as a great introduction to the world of teaching adult learners.  I was pleased to see that I already was doing many of the things listed and picked up quite a few new tips and tricks to help keep my students interested and focused.

I learned as a new instructor the terms and planning strategies that I'll use to prepare for classes. I especially enjoyed the videos from Harvard.  Each had great insight into this profession.

Sign In to comment