Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

A quick self-assessment

If you’ve just completed a training course, please consider responding to the three self-assessment questions below. Your responses will help you and other participants to get a head start on the transfer of training process.

1. What have you learned? Write a brief summary of what you’ve learned.

2. How can you apply it? List one or two ways in which you can apply what you’ve learned in your professional practice.

3. What support do you need? Identify any support or additional information that you may need to apply what you’ve learned.

1.  The biggest thing I've learned is how to prepare and consider certain elements before a presentation.

2.  I can apply it by taking the time to read over any notes I have from previous conversations with the potential students and considering more questions and concerns that may be brought up during and after the presentation.

3.  I think having access to this knowledge to refer to is beneficial plus the continual updates of peer questions on here.

1. The biggest thing that I have learned is what are the expectations for new managers. Instead of just managing tasks, now we have to manage people, but also gain respect from our direct reports. I now am learning how to get things accomplished by depending on not just myself, but others.

2. I am learning how to help and support my direct reports succeed, in return, it allows me to succeed. By providing leadership, keeping things running smoothly and building effective networks is what will make all of this happen.

3. Completing this program has been a hugh support for me and knowing that I can go back and look over any section when faced with a problem, is a hugh relief.

1. What have you learned? Write a brief summary of what you’ve learned.  I have learned that I often use soft feedback skills instead of assessing the situation and becoming more direct when necessary.

2. How can you apply it? List one or two ways in which you can apply what you’ve learned in your professional practice.  Taking more time to assess the personalities of my subjects as well as the situation will help me with becoming more direct when needed.  Also, I need to realize that direct feedback does not need to equate to negative reactions. 

3. What support do you need? Identify any support or additional information that you may need to apply what you’ve learned.  I need to practice what I have learned.  My support can come from interacting with my supervisor to ask for feedback on how I am applying my skills or bouncing ideas off my supervisor to ensure I am using the correct responses to feedback.

Dee

11. I  have learn that speaking to an audience make sure that you have a hook so that you can hold their attention.

2. This how I would apply what I have learn is to make sure I give  time and feedback to all speaker to help  provide better knowledge to open audience.

3.Support that is need is from listener to make that we all interact with the topic and  great feedback. we all support ideals that will lead to a bigger out in life.

I have learned that looking outside of the box and not being so rigid in hiring might result in hiring a better employee. I too believe that fair wages should be offered at the time the incumbent is offered the job. Too many employers try to low ball a perspective employee and that can really turn them off.

I think that more then one interview is needed sometimes to truly access ones personality and competence for the position being offered.

Educators learn a lot from each other so the forums are a great way to share information.

1. I learned the coaching methodology for managers makes sense, and is a way of leading the employees toward a common goal without adversely affecting the individual's self esteem. It helps the employees to both stand out as well as form a better team-unit.

2. I can apply what I have learned in my personal relationships with family members and with my coworkers and students. If I should become a manager, then, of course, I would try to use what I have learned from a managerial point of view as well.

3. I would need to have more opportunities or encounters with people that I would be in a position to coach in order to have practical experience in this. It would be nice if there were some practical scenarios we could work on in this forum or somewhere in the site. There was something similar in some of the business courses I attended online at a well known university.

I have learned that there are different types of stress both positive and negative. The course educated me in the ways to reduce negative stressors and integrate positive stress to increase my productivity.

I can apply what I have learned in the workplace by prioritizing my tasks, and using the tips for relaxation to avoid burning out and getting frustrated.

I would need to focus on using the strategies learned in this course by interacting with co-workers and looking for further education by my supervisors. In this way I can apply the training to real world situations and make useful changes to potentially stressful environments.

I learned that you set priorities as A, B, and C lists, then you omit the C list and narrow your B lists into A's and C's.

You must also make sure your A list doesn't turn into shor term goal always being a priority over your long-term goals.

I can apply this at my business, since I wear several "hats" in the company. Prioritizing and being more organized can lead to more effective business in the work place.

Support comes from other managers, co-workers, and even family and friends.

I learned people gain 75% of what they know visually which inspires me to create new and inventive ways to teach and present besides just lecture.. I learned ways to keep my audience's interest level high..

I have learned that there are plenty of ways to motivate and get involved when it comes to teams. Knowing and understanding your team dynamics can help you make a better judgment of how to motivate/involve people and get them going in the right direction. I have always loved the "break it down" approach when it comes to indecision or failure to come to a unanimous decision. Once you get respect from all involved and everyone understands there are no hidden agendas or motives, the team can move forward with trust and respect of other individuals on the team knowing full well that everyone is on board and are going in the same direction.

I can apply what I have learned in many environments. As a manager, I wish I had this course years earlier because my inexperience is something I don't want people to take advantage of. As a teacher, conflict resolution and everyone attaining their best grade by putting their best foot forward gains trust and respect of other classmates. There are many schools and environments that stress teamwork and making projects that are team-oriented. The sooner students have experience with these types of environments the better off they will be when they hit the real world looking for a job.

I would need more experience in a classic team environment as the one suggested in this course. Most of our teams come out of necessity and are not really a full time thing. Traditionally, communication and getting everyone on board is what teamwork consists of and I think I'm more a part of that environment than the one described in this course. I have had many of these philosophies and discussions while obtaining my Bachelor's in Management, so it was good to review what I learned a few years ago and rediscover the same trends and ideas that made me realize the importance of an open mind and teamwork being synonymous. 

1. I have learned how to deal with stress, high and low levels, and redirect the toxic stress to motivational stress.

2. I can apply it by using the 4 steps: Stop, Breathe, Reflect and Choose. This will give my body the chance to relax and refresh before stress takes its toll.

3. Support from co-workers would be ideal but it is not needed.

I have used these skills in the past, and It is good to take a reflection on why you stop doing those things.  I think worry is a convienence, or a luxury most cant afford to own. I am going to relearn the stop, breathe, reflect, and choose method and reapply it to my stressors.

1. What have you learned? Great tips on Time management

2. How can you apply it? in my daily tasks so that my time is used wisely and effectively

3. What support do you need? better communicatuion with supervisors and my direct reports

@srmeers1 : I have learned that we need to create a vision and get staff input on this to help them "buy in".

This can be used to get all staff and fuculty motivated internally and refocused on our mission. My staff is very dedicated, but can get mis-directed at times. This will help them stay on the path for a better company.

I need to communicate to my staff better what we are here to do.  Allow them to provide feedback, and find out what motivates each of the, to help make the company better.

@srmeers1 : Strees is part of daily life, and part of the job, it varies from day to day.

We must keep are stress level as low as possible, yet still feed off the energy it creates.

My job is not always easy, but it's never boring

@dennishayes :

What have you learned? I have learned that the most educated person is not necessarily the best fit for a postion in my department. Diversity is key.

• How can you apply it? Become more open to diversity and create patterns or strategies that support my company's culture.

• What support do you need? The support I feel I would need would be to have the ability to pay valuable employees what they are worth in order to retain them.

Sign In to comment