Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Alignment with Academic Core Standards | Origin: HQ101

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

CTE High-quality Framework: Standards-aligned and Integrated Curriculum --> Alignment with Academic Core Standards

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

This course has renewed my interest in academic integration, which I've strayed from since completing a multi-year Literacy Action Plan at another school. Academic integration is still critical in CTE.   

I particularly liked the following quote. "Bottoms (2006) stresses the importance of adding academic value in career major areas through the integration of academics with technical content (academic integration), professional development of staff, and motivating students to read and write within their content areas so that they can master technical content.  

Moving forward, I will prioritize academic integration back into my learning guides and lesson plans.  

It's necessary to make the core academic subjects align with and connect to our CTE Programs. It helps students find relevancy in ALL their learning and make them better prepared for college, career and LIFE!

As a former English teacher (recovering), it's impossible for me NOT to embed some of the English standards into any curriculum development that I do. I try to be explicit about this in my work with teachers, providing them some high leverage and flexible approaches to literacy and writing and helping them work these skill seamlessly into their content. Many teachers seem overwhelmed by this idea at first, but once we get a few literacy or writing activities into their lesson plans, the value add becomes clear and they find that they actually enjoy the process. 

Sign In to comment