Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Best Practices in Supervising and Coaching CTE Teachers | Origin: LC150

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Best Practices in Supervising and Coaching CTE Teachers 

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

One of the most important things that I learned (actually reinforced what I think), is that relationships between the teacher and student are vital in the students success.  It must be a discussion topic with all teachers. 

I see a lot of similarities in what we want to see both in the classroom and between leadership and staff.  I'm picturing staff meetings as similar to classrooms and looking for the behavioral, cognitive and social/emotional engagement and remembering how often I've heard "teachers are worse than students!"  Do the staff feel physically and psychologically safe?  Do they understand the expectations and know what the lerning outcomes are.  Do they feel respected and heard?  

I think the emphasis on collaboration and focusing on student learning rather than teaching methods was important too.

I learned that it really is not about focusing on the teacher, but rather, focusing on student outcomes that really matters. It is a coaches role to support the teacher and promote professional growth as a personalized approach to the interuption. 

Now more than ever it is crucial that we address the staggering numbers of new teachers who leave the profession. A focus on teacher retention through mentorship, targeted support, and community building must be at the center of our work with CTE teachers. 

Knowing about the three different types of engagement will help me gather data when in classrooms so that I can effectively coach a teacher on their practices.  It's important to building a coaching relationship and build community so all understand that I am there to help rather than to judge.

I have learned that administrators, teachers, coaches, and students must all be commited to student success. A clear mission, vison, and communication are essential. 

Sign In to comment