Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Teacher Evaluation in CTE Programs | Origin: LC150

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Best Practices in Supervising and Coaching CTE Teachers --> Teacher Evaluation in CTE Programs

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I like thinking of observation feedback withing the four buckets.  Diognostic, Prescriptive, Descriptive and Micro-Feedback.  Often times we give prescriptive feedback to new teachers when they really should be give prescriptive feedback.  Also, I really appreciated the video on Feedback.  Thinking about it from the student perspective and communicatin the purpose through that lense will no doubt be more impactful then taking it from the sole perspective of " I want you to be a better teacher".  Although the goal is the same, improve student learning outcomes, the message is quite different.

The topic When Nothing Happens interested me because as a leader it can be discouraging.  I made notes on two things that were important to me.  1) Effective teachers build relationships and motive students to do their best.  2) Effective principals do the same and use input from their most effective teachers in making decisions.  It is important to keep the most effect teachers in the forefront of your mind when making decisions and it's a great reminder for teachers as well.   This will help you remain positive in your position as a leader.

One of the items that resinated with me was the notion of the focus of CTE teachers on product as a relfection of good practice. As a CTE teacher, product is important but the process and skill set to complete projects are also necessay and should be considered on teacher effectiveness. a question I have is to what extent do we hold thesebmeasures on a middle-school level verses a high-school CTE teacher. Does the measure of effectivenesss change?

Making sure that the feedback is timely, actionable, specific and related to agreed-upon outcomes.  What do we want our student outcomes to look like and wht do we need to do to achieve that...

Also having the evaluator be knowledgeable in the subject matter - there have been times... :-) 

I think also the importance of have leadership value, appreciate, and be vocal about great work that is being done - letting the teacher know how valued they are and the appreciation of the difference they are making in student lives...

It is important to have clear golas and have strategies in place for improvement. Relationships matter and being value driven and having clarity of purpose is critical to supporting our teachers.

The part of the module that resonated with me most was the tendency for new CTE teachers to focus on the product rather than student learning. I had never thought about it this way, and yet I have seen this play out with teachers many times. Now that I can name it, I think I can explicitly address this with teachers in a way that provides "preventative feedback" (is that a thing?) to help them see a common pitfall for new CTE teachers. 

I thought it was interesting statement great leaders base decisions on the best people. In my new position, I can see that because these people are also leaders and innovator. They are given the opportunity to learn and lead. A leader know cultivating good leaders will have a multiplier effect. 

It is important to be cognizant of the experience of a CTE teacher (for example, if the person's first career was in industry) and the type of feedback necessary to provide support for growth for the teacher.  Additionally, being proactive by sharig with teachers what types of feedback will be provided and why, is of value.

Feedback is essential and should be focused and expected. I plan to provide more specific feedback to teachers to help them set goals for their instruction. My district uses  student-centered coaching cycles and I plan to use my learning about feedback as a part of these cycles.  

Sign In to comment