Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

21st Century Skills in the Classroom

As a new instructor in CTE: Business, I began to consider ways to teach and reenforce many of the 21st century employability skills in the classroom. Some of them, like showing up on time, respecting colleagues and management, and critical thinking are some that are already expected within the school. Show up to class on time and ready to learn, respect your peers and teachers, etc. One that I feel would be more difficult, especially in the secondary school environment is dressing appropriately. In the business setting there is professional dress, business casual, and just plain casual. Most students may come to school each day in casual dress, but is it unlikely that students will come to class in professinal or business casual attire. I believe that workplace attire is extremely important when it comes to employability.

For myself I plan on modeling the expectation by coming to teach wearing professional business or business casual attire every day

Knowing that kids want to keep it casual at school, I'm thinking that the required "classroom attire" be a small part of their grade or even extra credit.

I'm interested in knowing what other CTE instructors think about this.

Sign In to comment