Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Questions Prospective Students Have

What kinds of questions do prospective students typically have? How will you answer these questions more effectively as a result of this course?

most of the prospective student ask; how much is the program?

They usually ask how much the program is, how long is it, and in if financial aid is available. I believe that ive been answering these questions effectively by goving the student a catalog so they can see the costs and the length of the program and then directing them to financial aid so they can answer any financial questions they have.

Belen,

The number one question, right? And now, you simply must give them the correct response, or as Cynthia pointed out, direct them to the catalog and to the department best suited to respond.

How about the disclosures on your websites? These are regulations that are now required and I would suggest that you also familiarize yourselves with these as well. Students may have questions about them for you as well.

Donna Guisado

Cynthia ,

I think you are absolutely doing the right thing in directing the students to the catalog and to the proper department to respond to their questions.

I would also become familiar with the required disclosures on your website, as the students may also have questions for you about the information contained in them.

You might not need to be able to address all of the specifics in the disclosures, but knowing where to direct them, as you do with financial aid, is important knowledge to have.

Donna Guisado

I'm familiar with the disclosures on our website, so if the a prospective student has a question I could answer the question.

Belen,

Perfect! It sounds like you are very well prepared to meet your students needs.

Donna Guisado

Similar to other forum participants, a great majority of prospect students want to know the cost and length of the program. In these cases the best way to clear their doubts is to refer them to the financial aid department. Individuals who are unsure about the career path they want to take, typically ask about employment opportunities in the field of interest and average income for those professionals. I have noticed that there is no specific answer to that question but I refer them to visit the bureau of labor statistics site to obtain additional information. I dont know if this is appropriate

Giovanni,

It is absolutely appropriate. That is the best place to refer them to for answers to those types of questions, precisely because there is no specific answer! Salaries can vary greatly, we all know that is the reality, but we cannot withhold information from our prospective students.

It sounds like you have a supportive team and you can probably already see the importance of admissions and financial aid working closely together to provide the most accurate information possible to the students.

Donna Guisado

some of my prospects have many questions one common one is if they will get a job. My answer is if you are willing to change your life and study very hard and stay foccus on the field you choose i am pretty sure they will be ready to challenge any obsticles and be succesful in any field they choose.

maria,

That's a good answer Maria, as they have to work hard to get a job. We can give them the skills to help them do the job, but they have to do the work to get and KEEP the job, right?

Always be sure to tell your prospects that you can only offer job placement assistance...its very important that you never guarantee them a job.

Sounds like you are very positive and motivating for your students. Good stuff!

Donna Guisado

Students want to know what the program will do for them. They worried about the jobs they can get. The costs is always a concern too.

Victor ,

These are good and very common questions all prospective students have. Making sure that you have the most up to date information and knowledgeable support team at your school is the best way to provide the student with the answers to their questions.

Donna Guisado

Some of our prospective students have asked what makes us different from our competitors. We have recently responded by restating our strengths at our campus and avoid making direct comparisons. We can however educate our prospective customer as to why we cannot engage in unethical practices such as incentify enrollment or promise placement working in their selected industry.

Gil,

I think that responding by restating your own school's strengths is the best way to go. I'm not sure I'd go into mentioning "unethical practices" with a prospective student. Their thought may be why you would even need to mention it?!

Talking about your own strengths, what makes your school or programs unique, sharing the School Performance Fact Sheets that show how job placement and/or retention is for your program is the best way to go.

Donna Guisado

Aside from being asked the usual "how much is this going to cost me?" Job placement is the second most popular question prospective students ask and most of them start by asking if we can "guarantee" them a job. While they are sometimes irritated by the fact that we can't guarantee it, they become more understanding once they are able to speak with our job placement Coordinator so they can hear exactly how they will be assisted in that process.

One of the questions that always come up is salary and work upon graduation. I always explain the spectrum of potential salaries. Completing module 2 was an affirmation of how I conduct myself during an interview with a prospective student. I am always cautious to not over exaggerate potential incomes and emphasizing the challenges after graduation.

Sarah,

Excellent point, and very interesting that prospective students are asking that question! I think the students we are seeing now are far more savvy about what is going on in the world of work than in the past. I love that you know we simply cannot guarantee them a job. That's not something that is guaranteed to anyone, really. But knowing that you have your coordinator to refer them to is another great example of team support.

Donna Guisado

johnny,

It is also acceptable to refer them to salary information provided on external websites, such as information provided on the Bureau of Labor Statistics website.

Donna Guisado

One of the most frequently asked question is "Why our school is so much cheaper and shorter in length that other schools that offer same programs. I tell prospective students that ours are certificate programs and where as some offer a degree. I also show students our Student Performance Fact Sheet.

Sign In to comment