Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Eric ,

Many students are concerned about the aspect of getting a job. What are some of your best practices when you do have to answer that question? How do you avoid the 'promise' of employment?

Donna Guisado

Prospective students usually ask about pay. They want to know what they can make once they obtain a particular license or certificate. I usually refer back to our placement rates. I will also try and use our performance fact sheet as a tool when speaking about such statistics

Markki,

It is also acceptable to refer them to websites such as the occupational outlook website provided by the Bureau of Labor Statistics. This provides a wealth of information which can be considered reliable.

Donna Guisado

Prospective students in our online program want to know what the job prospect is like in their particular area. I refer them to the local association and/or state association specific to their chosen field of study as well as recommend calling local firms in their area.

Our school is new, but we have an unique MBA program, which drives prospective students come to us. However, the questions that they usually ask is if we are accredited yet. Obviously we are not accredited yet and now we are in the process. We need to be honest with our customer, and answer this question base on the truth. If students need to know more information, the representative always send them the school catalog, where the students can find all information about our shcool and the MBA program that we offer. We don't hind anything from the student, and don't compare us with any other schools and say anything bad about other school, as we believe what we have been doing, and we respect our customer's decision. We must comply with the policy.

PING,

It's a very important time for your school, during the initial accreditation process, that you do exactly that.

Donna Guisado

Some of the first questions prospective students ask are related to tuition and program descriptions, which is often followed by expected salary.
This course has helped me reflect on the role of all personnel in the Admissions office and identifying the students who would truly benefit from the program. While it is important to the financial viability of the school to meet our admissions quota, we have to serve as student advocates first.
Motivation and interest in the program of study should be mandatory requirement, and Admissions Counselor should make every effort during the interview process in evaluating a student’s level of commitment and interest. Given that the student has the motivation and interest factors, it will improve their chances of completing the program. This also serves the school in term of maintaining accreditation compliance to benchmark completion and placement rates.

Mary,

If all the schools had this attitude, there perhaps would not be some of the issues private post-secondary schools are facing. It is the schools that do not put the students first that seem to be the most problematic. I'm curious how you and your team are handling the salary questions. Are you refering these questions to website? How is your team trained to respond to that, sometimes, very tricky subject?

Donna Guisado

Questions they asked while on tour: #1 question is job placement and graduating percentage. We show our potential students our school performance fact sheet. also another is working for a specific industry or a specific job title, we always say we cannot guarantee to place them in the specific industry or title.

Jacqueline,

You are doing all the right things! School performance fact sheets...not guaranteeing placement...all good things to have and say!

Donna Guisado

Sign In to comment