Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Limitations

What surprised you as you read about language and information you can and cannot use when communicating with prospective students?

I was very surprisee at the word "discount." I wasnt aware of the emphases that word has when dealing with tuition. It is a very common word used in everyday life by many. I do agree with the limitaitons because it could create the wrong ideas for a prospect student.

Sylvia,

Hi, I would like to raise two points regarding the word discount and it's use in relation to education. First, using the word discount devalues the cost of education which leads the students to believe that the education offered is not worth full tuition. Another point is that it does not represent a fair playing field for all students. If one student is offered a discount they all should be offered a discount-BUT-this discount should be represented in the form of a tuition reduction.

Cindy Bryant

I was not surprised by the language or information that can be used when communicating with prospective students. I was surprised by the very short list of places where admissions representatives are allowed to recruit students. I understand the prohibition for recruiting students in venues where they are vulnerable and not in a position to make a clear and knowledgeable choice. I also understand the prohibition against recruiting, thinly disguised as employment opportunities. I must confess that I am unclear as to the basis for some of the limitations. For example, what is the reasoning behind prohibiting us from seeking prospective students by having our admissions representatives set up a table at a local mall or flea market.

Kimberly,

Hi. Unfortunately, we do not have the luxury of complete understanding of why certain regulations are put into place. Many times regulations are vetted based on prior experiences that resulted in negative consequences for a school.

Cindy Bryant

I was very surprised to learn that we have to becareful using words such as Accreditation and guaranteed small classes. It makes sense after reading about why we need to make sure all the information we provide is correct.

Priscilla,

Ho exciting that the course has provided you with additional insight into the mystery of misrepresentation.

Cindy Bryant

Wasn't so much of a surprise. Just more of making sure I use the correct wording for prospective students.

I wasn't very surprised. Just reassure me of the language that must be used and will reiterate this with my team.

Nothing surprised me regarding this information, however, this is something that must be discussed on a regular basis with the admissions team.

Actually there weren't many surprises; however, a refresher is always helpful.

I was not surprised in any aspect. We must continue to review and discuss with the admissions team every aspect of the regulations to keep them up to date.

I agree. Most are common sense, however it is always a good practice to regularly advise admissions teams of both the limitations and the consequences of non-compliance.

I wasn't surprised, I assumed that there were certain things that can't be promised and things you can't say to mislead a student into such an important decision

There was little that surprised me because we are very cautious of the verbiage we use with students. We are very specific and intentional about compliance issues

My question would be "What is a 'small' class size? Small compared to what?
Sonny Shaddix, owner

Sonny,

Thank you for asking these important questions. The word small is relative in comparison to other class sizes as you mentioned. My interpretation would be that "small classes" would be any number under the state mandated class size. Anyone else have any ideas?

Cindy Bryant

What surprises me is how limiting it is, and yet I've seen other schools in the El Paso area that are using "State of the Art" Equipment in their advertising. I often wonder how they get away with that.

Sign In to comment