Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

TWC Exemptions for Private Universities

According to TWC, to qualify for an exemption from the requirement for a TWC Certificate of Approval for schools that offer Bachelor's or higher-level degrees, a school must demonstrate that:

•it has been licensed by TWC for at least one year;
•it has THECB authorization to grant degrees or a THECB exemption from this requirement;
•it is accredited by , and in good standing with, a THECB-recognized accreditor; and
•a majority of credits (51% or greater) earned in its educational programs are transferable to educational programs at equivalent or higher academic levels at a public college or university located in the same service area as the offered program.

How does a school demonstrate that 51% or more of the credits are transferable? Initially I thought articulation agreements; however, universities don't typically arrange these agreements with other universities. The only method I can think of at this point is to contact students that have left our school and enrolled at another school and hope they'll disclose/document what they received credit for.

Marcy,

I agree that it is a long-shot to have a local public college enter in to an articulation agreement. Although if some kind of reciprocal agreement could be reached that would be a good way to go. Perhaps locating a school or schools that received an exemption and asking them how they did it would be beneficial.

JP Mehlmann

What are the benefits to a school applying for and being granted an exemption?

Nikki,
That is a good question. Have you read the TWC CSC exemptions form (CSC-017, items #4 and #16 in particular)? There are 17 possible exemption criteria. the answer to your question depends on which criteria your school meets and any other reasons you have for seeking an exemption. One possible benefit to a specific program exemption is that revenues from the exempt program would benefit the school's 90/10 ratio since the exempt program would not be eligible for title IV aid.

JP Mehlmann

It seems that if a college is not regionally accredited, it would be difficult to reach the transfer credit requirement.

Sign In to comment