Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Academic Probation

What is the CSC's definition of Academic Probation? Does it include that a student may be on probation with or without access to course material? Is it more to label a student's progress and track potential for termination? If a student is terminated, you mention re-enrolling. Does this include completing an application and enrollment agreement again?

Gemma,
Thank you for your questions. The TWC CSC has extensive rules on probation in the Rules section on Satisfactory Progress. The use of probation relates to progress/grades. A student must be making progress or is subject to termination. The rules do not address access to course materials, but the student must have access to improve their grades/progress. Yes - if a student is terminated and wishes to re-enroll, they must wait a minimum of one grading period and must complete a new enrollment agreement (completion of a new application is at the school's discretion/policy). I suggest you see page 43 of the Chapter 807 Complete Current Rules on their website: http://www.twc.state.tx.us/svcs/propschools/current-schools.html#know. Below is a portion of these rules:

For schools approved on a course time basis and offering programs in excess of 200 hours, the school shall evaluate progress at least every eight weeks. A school approved on a credit hour basis shall evaluate progress at the midpoint and end-of-term for academic semester or academic quarter or at least every eight weeks. For programs with course time in excess of 200 hours, the following shall apply.
(1) The school shall place a student making unsatisfactory progress for the program at the end of a progress evaluation period on academic probation for the next progress evaluation period. If the student on academic probation achieves satisfactory progress for the subsequent progress evaluation period, but does not achieve the required grades to meet overall satisfactory progress for the program, the student may be continued on academic probation for one more progress evaluation period.
(2) If a student on academic probation fails to achieve satisfactory progress for the first probationary progress evaluation period, the student's enrollment shall be terminated.
(3) The enrollment of a student who fails to achieve overall satisfactory progress for the program at the end of two successive probationary progress evaluation periods shall be terminated.

JP Mehlmann

JP,

Thank you for the reference. I have just been promoted to Campus Director and I am excited to be part of outlining three approved programs. I am assuming that any policies concerning attendance and progression can be found in the website you've mentioned, correct?

Minnie,

Good luck in your new role. Yes I suggest thoroughly reading the rules and splashing around the TWC CSC site and links (especially the forms link) If your campus/company has people who have worked with the TWC CSC then use them as a resource too. Lastly, TWC CSC welcome calls if you have any questions.

JP Mehlmann

Sign In to comment