Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Advisory Board Members

Is there a limit to the amount of advisors a school can have on a board and do board members have to be approved by the twc?

Stephanie,
There is no maximum limit to advisory board members. The minimum for a documented meeting is usually three (external from the school) for each program offered. Since it is unusual to have 100% show for meetings, most schools invite many more members to their scheduled meetings. TWC does not approve board members but will ask for the qualifications of the members. Potential employers are preferred (especially for the three minimum).

JP Mehlmann

It was interesting for me to find out each advisor must be from a different company

chris,
Yes, each must be from a different company to provide a better range of feedback to your school. Also suggest avoiding or limiting the inclusion of temp or employment agencies.

JP Mehlmann

Would it also be sufficient to have an employed graduate as one of the advisory board members, since they are now experienced in the field, plus the added benefit of being a participate of the program?

Paulette,
Absolutely. A successful graduate often makes for an excellent advisory board member. Ideally, the member holds a position where they are involved in the hiring process of our graduates. Although the TWC CSC doesn't address this, I'd suggest the graduate have a year of experience in the field and/or with their current employer. Graduates with experience bring a lot more to the table than a recent graduate who just landed a position.

JP Mehlmann

This is an excellent idea. I had to form an advisory committee within a few months of beginning as a director in coming from another industry.
I sought longer tenured/experienced medical professionals and human resources managers - of which it's vital to have their input - but I can see where having a school graduate with a reasonable amount of experience would provide a great perspective.

In our city there are two huge employers (healthcare) who are potential employers. Can we have advisory board members from the same company but different locations?

David,
Yes but you need at least 3 from different employers. Check with your TWC contact person to be sure of the minimum required.

Thank you,

JP Mehlmann

Although it's challenging at times, we found that having no more than one advisor from an employer is ideal so we receive more feedback to enhance our programs.

One more question. When you start a new program, how soon are you required to hold your first Advisory Board meeting?

David,

Thank you for your question. I don't believe there is a specific deadline for a meeting after the program starts except that you have at least one per year. Best practice is to have two per year - check the TWC rules and your accrediting rules. In addition, the new program application requires the TWC occupational expert support forrms (5), which necessitates having a meeting before the new program is submitted for approval.

JP Mehlmann

Sign In to comment