Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Represenatives with Background Offenses

Our employer believes in second chances (hiring individuals with criminal backgrounds on case by case basis). Is there CSC rule that defines what a representative can have on their background checks? I.e. Felony conviction.

Michael,
The rules (as best I can tell) do not specify what background offenses would disqualify an individual from CSC approval. However, my experience has been that the nature of the offense (in light of the job duties of a Representative) can indicate people with specific backgrounds who would not be approved. If you think about the types of felony offenses that CSC would reject, several come to mind such as: offenses involving money, sexual assault/rape, etc. More recently, TWC CSC has been under scrutiny from the media and state government for not doing enough to regulate schools and their admissions practices. Therefore, I suggest extreme caution in hiring of representatives - check with your HR/Recruiting department. The offense question on the TWC representative application should be addressed with all representative applicants prior to a job offer. Lastly, if you really want to hire someone with a felony, I suggest obtaining the details of their offense and calling TWC CSC prior to submitting the application for their input.

JP Mehlmann

Thank you for your helpful response. We will take much consideration when it comes to this topic.

Sign In to comment