Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Instructor shortage

Is there a rule or rules in recruiting instructors other than advertising positions through standard methods such as newspaper and/or internet? Such as participating in job fairs?

Minnie,
I know of no rule restricting recruiting advertising for instructors. One phrase that is repeated in the TWC Rules is that the instructor is "of good reputation". I am not sure how this would be applied, but most schools use a thorough hiring process including background checks, to make as good a hire as possible.

JP Mehlmann

We have been very successful finding top quality Instructors for our campus. We are a private technical institution, so the economy is always a fluctuating factor for hiring highly skilled individuals that also have the soft skill set needed to become good Instructors. We have solid in-house programs that provide constant development and monitoring of their growth, so meeting the TWC requirements is nothing other than business as usual.

I have been a school director for about six months and almost immediately had an instructor opening to fill. We used the mainstream outlets described previously in this forum to seek candidates/applicants for the opening.
I had many years of business management and interviewing job applicants in another industry, and found that background to be useful.
I will have another instructor position to fill in the next few months as a present instructor I have is going to nursing school.
I worked for many years in a purely business-oriented industry, and now am working at a career school that provides training and instruction for entry-level jobs in the medical field?
Any advice or tips on how you believe I can best use previous business management experiences to make good hires for instructor-based jobs?

Ricardo,
Thank you for your thoughtful post. Your experience will no doubt help you in conducting a thorough, and HR-compliant interview and hiring process. I suggest you develop interviewing questions and look for signs that tell you whether or not the candidate cares about helping students. The best teachers care about students professionally and personally.

JP Mehlmann

Sign In to comment