Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

BEST PRACTICES

What are some good practices to have as a Representative to be successful in this business?

I think good practices is to care about the prospective student, see the school thru their "eyes", be able to answer questions that they have or at least know where to look for the answers, know how to guide them thru the process of admissions and school.

I think a few best practices would be being knowledgeable about your school. In every aspect of the business, you should know the basics of each department and what they do. It would also be good to get extremely familiar with your school catalog. Maybe do differant training meetings and involve directors from each department. This way specific questions can be asked to that director.

A best practice is always continuing to learn and train throughout your time as an admissions rep. Many times as we gain tenure as a rep we preceive to know everything. Shadowing other representatives, meeting with faculity to discuss programs, attending all trainings will help with this process.

Save everything. I save my phone scripts, interview packets and everything in between. These are good resources to go back through and see if you're missing something or just to get back in touch with people you met with but did not enroll at the time.

That is my number one rule. I truly care about my prospective students. I try to treat them and talk to them as honestly as I would my brother or sister. My school might not be the best fit for everyone and if I feel that I will say it.

I thinkt that ethics are the most important practice. This will just naturally keep your head and heart in the right space in terms of your school.

I think it is important to be upfront and honest about everything. If a student asks a question and you do not know the answer, it is best to say that you aren't sure and will find an answer instead of providing an answer of which you aren't sure. It is also important to listen and keep in mind the prospective student's needs. Remember, this is not about satisfying OUR agenda but rather providing information so that a student can see how/if our school is the best choice for them.

If a Representative knows and believes in what thier school offers they will be able to guide students who might not have direction when it comes to their education. Helping the student visualize their main career goal and knowing the atmosphere they want to be in when they graduate will motivate the student to stay in school and on course to achieve that goal. It's all about believing that education can change their life and helping them lay the foundation to achieve a career.

I think being organized, knowing your product, and being personable on the phone are the 3 keys to being succesful

A good practice is to help your student visualize where they will start their career after all of their hard work is complete! This tends to motivate them and gives them a concrete plan in life.

I think for Nursing our rep. needs to be very informed about the what nursing students are looking for in a program. Also what about our program is different from the other tri-state programs is something potential students will ask. Know your program!

I agree with this. Just be honest it is always the best policy in any setting. In nursing, integrity is the utmost quality in students and they want that also in a nursing rep.

Agreed! I try to treat people the same way I'd want to be treated if I were on the "other" side of the desk.

If you can focus on the students needs/values and keep them in mind throughout the entire process, I feel you will find success more than failure.

Best Practices - Every Student deserves your best foot forward everyday. Follow compliance,follow the rules,pay attention to all questions and only give accurate answers.

Aaron,

That is perfect advice. If you keep the student's best interest in mind you will be successful.

I agree with this completely. If you answer a question incorrectly, it could really come back to bite you. I would rather get the correct answer and tell them to hold on while I get it or call them back. This also shows the prospective student that you actually care about giving them accurate information. Plus if you give false information they are more likely to drop, because eventually they will find out the truth anyway.

So true! I really enjoy meeting with the kids and their parents!

ALWAYS REMEMBER TO DO WHAT IS BEST FOR YOUR STUDENT. WITH ALL THE CHANGES PEOPLE HAVE A TENDENCY TO FORGET THAT.

Sign In to comment