Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Know the rules and regulations that govern their school. All knowledge of the catalog, programs, financial aid, student services, career placement all have effects of the ability of the agent.

You should be concerned with each individual. It is a giant step for most to attempt college life. The adjustments they go through with family, job and school. The adult population is growing as far as attending school. We need the knowledge to assist them.

I have met people (student's and families) all over the world from working in an educational setting. They have been very respectful and just great people. They know what they want and go after it. Especially the student's from Europe.

I believe if you are passionate about your job then that reflects to the student. You have to believe in your organization and it's ability to not only give your students an education but a chance to change their lives for the better.

Some best practices that have helped me have been being a role model and understanding and knowing each program that you offer.

This will definitely not work for the majority...BUT it works for me & my students & their families. We have bbq's at our home at least 6 times/yr. Each family brings a side-dish. I supply the meat. Students meet other students (possible roommates). Parents meet other parents, etc. Also, as the bbq groups get progressively larger, topics that you may have thought were not important, are brought up & discussed openly. This has helped start rates, and graduation percentages. This is also one of the best ways to get referrals, not just from students - but also families. Just have them invite their friends to the bbq's.

It is important enough to say again and again... one of the most critical success factors for an agent is questioning skills. How well do you know what the potential student wants to gain from additional education? What task motives and personal motives do they have?

:)

Talking to the faculty is critical to understanding what the students are studying, what seems to be most difficult for students and what contacts he/she knows that may serve as resources for you and the school.

Sign In to comment