Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Sales

What should be kept in mind when coming in from a sales background? What should one becareful of?

Your job is not to really sell your student on your school, but to interview them to make sure they understand what they need to do to be a successful student. Then the benefits of your school should sell them.

The role of the admission officer is to determine whether the student's goals match up with the goals of the school. Most of the prospective students that I talk with are looking at various options that are available to them. On several occasions their goals seem to be better met by a community college or vocational school. In these instances I explain to them the differences and then let them make the decisions in what they want to do.
I see an admissions officers role more in line as an informant and expert for the school they work for rather than someone trying to use techniques to close a sale.

Sales are an important aspect of what is done as an Admission Officer specifically with respect to; product knowledge, training, customer service, etc. However, if you focus on those attributes of sales you will be of benefit to your students.

Making sure that you are only interested in providing the best fit for your student

I find the more knowledgeable you are not only about the school but also in obtaining the most information possible about the students needs will make you successful.

Jeremy,

Yes, your priority should be doing what is best for the prospective student, not "selling" your school.

Many skills used in sales are used in our capacity. The important issue to remember is that we need to inform perspective students as completely as needed and then let the product or your education "sale" itself.

Monica:

How do you obtain information about the student and how does that make the admissions process more effective?

I am so glad to see your post, doing what is best for the student is the best point to remember.

I completely agree, Jeremy. I feel like my job is to ask questions to help determine the best advice I can provide. If my school isn't right for a student I have no problem parting as friends.

Sales experience won't get you very far. You need to be able to learn and adapt. Even if you have a MBA

A lot of sales has to do with incentives and manipulating emotion. There are powerful principles in sales that can be used in education such as being professional and empathetic and these should be focused on, but depending on the type of sales background they came from you will want to watch for uneccesary habits.

In your initial conversation with the student it is extremely important to ask questions. Let the student tell you what they want and don't assume you know what is best! The most important aspect to our jobs is to listen. When we listen and not simply hear what is being said we can key on the important aspects of what our student is looking for. A successful agent is able to help students discover their own solution through the medium of education. It is a deeper connection than just a sales transaction. When we ask good questions the student can get the answers that they are looking for. If they get what they are looking for everyone wins.

The first and foremost thing that you want to remember is that although this may be considered educational sales your job is to best service the student and always be ethical. We are here to help as many people as possible to better their future.

I completely agree. Our goal as agents should be doing what is best for the student.

Remember you are dealing with the future of a student. If your school isn't the best fit for their future goals. Let them know another option may be a better choice. I know people have certain goals they may want to reach, but doing the right thing is far more important than sales numbers.

Jared,

Do you have any examples of questions that you find helpful when working with prospective students?

It's very important to follow the rules that are establihed in regards to compliance and what your are expected to say and to not promise or guarantee results or jobs.

What do you want to do with this degree?
What is it about that job that you are interested in? How long have you been interested in...? One of my favorite questions/statements is "tell me more about that." The hardest part of our job is to be quiet and listen. We should not be in a lecturing role, instead we should be actively listening to what wwe are being told.

I am amazed at how many people are looking for jobs that help them key into an internal desire. One example is the need to nurture. Many times it is a matter of asking questions that allow you to understand if it is that specific job or that type of service that the student is looking for. Knowing if it is the field of interest or the type of service gives you as an agent something to build on.

Sign In to comment