Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Texting

In our area, we have students who have multiple telephone numbers. Even if they run out of phone minutes, the can text. I get more results texting than calling. In some cases, they call back because they do not know who did the texting.

I text all students for follow up after they are enrolled. this is a great way for me to stay in contact with them.

Texting is another way of communicating with students, and it is nice feature to have on those days when the student does not want to talk.

Txting is great especially in the High School market because that is the majority of the way that the high school age group communicates.

Would students have to consent in some way for us to be allowed to text them? My concern is that some of our students have very limited phone plans and the number of calling minutes and texts allotted in a given month are often not unlimited.

Although I am older I agree with you about texting. We do not use texting but I'm sure this would be a postive result compared to leaving messages all the time.

I think texting a student would be a HUGE help, however, I was told that we have to ABSOLUTELY get their consent before even considering sending them a text.

I think there would be a very good outcome as far as texting students is concerned. I for one am the type of person that would much rather communicate via text than on an actual phone call. And i know that there are ALOT of other people out there that feel the same way.

I feel that there should be something in a disclosure that states that we can and will text them occasionally.

We have not been advised that consent is required to text to students and fortunately I have not run into any issues with student and texting fees. This seems to be a great way to make contact with our typical prospective student and a method they actually prefer. I might make several calls and get no reply - but an immediate response from a text.

I have not been advised either about any consent being required. I have found a site through the internet that allows you to come up with your own phone number and text them through the computer, that way you aren't using your own personal device/number. I have had great success with it, not only reaching students, but with appointment setting as well.

It's a double edged sword. It may be a sure fire way to get a response. But does an employer text an for an interview? I don't think so. It almost seems we are giving them a license not to be professional or responsible.

Andy:

There is no specific state requirement to obtain approval prior to communicating via text but schools obviously may have their own internal polices regarding texting.

Students will respond more quickly to text messages than phone calls.

Does anyone text who works with nontraditional students? We now have the capability to text, but have not utilized it at this point.

Texting has been one of my best tools moving forward. It has helpped me find missing students during orientation and start day as well....

Thank you,

Erin Evans

I have used this method as well. I have texted students to inform them when I am in need of additional items or documents to complete the enrollment process. Students will receive and respond to a text quicker than logging into their email and responding.

Our school has recommended against texting, but utilizing it as a back up option appears to be more within compliance that using it as a sales tool.

I am not sure if texting is allowed at my school. However, I think it would be a wonderful way to communicate with potential students and it would be a format that students may would be more likely to respond to. I am going to research this to see if it allowed.

I am a high school admissions rep and have spoken with other high school reps at my school. They find texting to be an excellent form of communication.

Texting has grown significantly over the past years. More people, especially the younger generation, would simply rather text then to have a conversation. Alot of information can be provided through text also. Its a great form of communication.

Texting is a great way to get information you need from prospective students and keep in touch. It has been a successful tool

Sign In to comment