Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Job Fair ettiquette

How does your school handle leads generated at job fairs? And, how do your employees behave? Do you observe an "ettiquette" regarding who you've spoken with as prospects?

We treat leads generated from a job fair with just as much importance as other forms of lead generation. It often makes it easier to connect with a potential student having already met them in person. Our employees love going to job and education fairs to get the word out about our school because we believe in the product.

Ettiquette at job fairs is quite simple. Just approach the individual, introduce yourself and the organization you are representing, and provide good information. You should always probe and ask questions to see if your school is a good fit and vice versa. Never attack the individual but smile and be cordial and they will be more receptive to what you have to say.

So do you have them distributed through lead management or are you permitted to hang onto the ones you talked with at the events?

Yes, I have attended many over the years. I was referring more to the etiquette displayed towards other Reps both from your school who you are there with, and towards Reps at other tables from other schools.

For example do you jump in & try to take over someone's conversation to get credit for the lead? I have had that happen to me and I think it is poor manners and unprofessional. And the students do notice too.

I primarily handle the outside events for our Admissions Dept and I have never had anyone try to “steal” a lead from me. Going to any career fair we always look and act professional. It is also very important for us to work as a team, since we have a small staff. We all do our parts to work for the common goal.

If we have a week-long event (i.e. county fairs) where we have some instructors and other school staff helping out at our table we simply collect all the leads and divide them equally. If someone has already developed a relationship with one of the leads they will take over that lead. But over all we work together as a team instead of against each other.

I agree Barbara, that is very unprofessional to "jump in" someone's conversation, to obtain credit for a lead.

Leads genetrated from job/career/college fairs should stay with the rep or reps that attend -once a personal connection has been made with a prospective student it is assumably easier to schedudle them in for an appointment. College Fair etiquette is regulated by our state (stay behind the table, what you can and can't give away, etc), job or career fairs are more loosly regulated; however professionalism is expected at all times.

We also treat job fairs with the utter most importance. the potential students that show for these fairs are looking for a new avenue to life.

Leads that are generated at job fairs for our school are usually distributed evenly among reps
unless a rep had a prior "interview" with a
prospect. Then he keeps that file. Walk-ins are
handled the same way.

Since only one person is designated to attend the job fairs, when the leads come in, it is set up as a 'round robin' so it's a fair as it can be.

I am a high school presenter, college fair rep and I also enroll adults in our health programs. I am responsible for all outside events for our admissions dept as well. In the state of Ohio college fair rules are always distributed along with the invitation. For example, all reps must remain behind the display table at all times so it really is tough to have anyone try to take a lead from me. When attending any career fair we always look and act professional. All high school leads that I get are given to the high school admissions rep, all adults leads are given to the adult admissions rep and all adult RN leads are give to me. We must work as a team because we are also a small school with a small staff. If we all work toward the common goal everyone wins.
I agree that if someone has already developed a relationship with one of the leads they should continue the relationship and enrollment process.
Mina

I always try to speak with reps for other schools to have a good working relationship with each of them. As far as the leads they are in my area if I am working the fair so I follow up with each lead and send a copy to the college.

Our leads from job fairs are just as important as a lead from another source. We treat it with high importance.

Most of the people I meet at job fairs are non-traditional prospects. Upon collecting contact info, it is imperative that this type of lead be dealt with immediately (as opposed to a high school lead where quick contact may not be absolutely essential).

Many times, a non-traditional prospect is in a situation where he/she needs to make a fast decision regarding career training/education. Whether you personally are dealing with this prospect or if you are turning the lead over to an in-house admissions rep, time is most likely of the essence.

I believe it all comes down to building strong relationships with your co-workers Maelana. If you have a good working relationship to the point where you can trust your co-workers obstacles like these shouldn't be a problem.

Persons representing our school at a job fair or college fair must pay close attentionto the leads. Sometimes those leads have been completed by individuals who are already out of high school and are looking to make a quick decision about an educational path. It's important that those leads be addressed quickly.

Our team takes turns going to Job Fairs. That way once an admissions representative builds rapport with the person they met, they don't lose it. This makes it helpful and can continue the rapport building on the phone and when they come in. Also, the potential student knows that they have one person they can count on if they need anything and are not just being "passed around."

Sign In to comment