Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

sell...

Don't sell. Build value and your student will be sold.

This is true. As an agent of a school it is not our job to "sell" but to simply find the proper fit for the prospective student. If and only if your school is a good fit for the student should we enroll them. We are not here to "sell" but to simply inform and help the student make the best possible decision for them.

I feel our job is so vitally important for so many people's futures. To find the best career choice for them and place them in a program with all the support they will need to succeed is a privilege.

I agree with building the value of not only the school but the opportunity for a successful future once graduated.

I completely agree with this statement. It is more important that the student makes a decision that will positively impact their life than the get forced into a institution who's goals don't match up with their own.

I think their are certain tools involved when you have something like education and people need to be held accountable, but "selling" as it is typically understood is used to make up for something. There is nothing that needs to be made up for when it comes to an education.

I think early on as a young rep, I tried to sell too much. I got away from what I was taught. You often times get caught up in the numbers game and get desperate, but we have to keep in mind why we are here and what our jobs are to do. The value is in the education and if the student gets that from us, then they will enroll and be successful.

Chad:

Very good observations. Experienced and successful agents are able to effectively balance their roles as a salesperson and an admissions representative.

What type of advice would you give to new agents to assist them in becoming successful?

I agree with the statement. Once institution provides the quality education and potential students are happy with the enrollment process,'word of mouth" will do the trick! :)

Yes, I agree. Once, all of the information is given to the student, they can make a better decision on what they are really interested in. Also, this will make you look more professional in student's eyes and in return make your school more attractive.

I believe that students need to make informed decisions so that they are satisfied upon graduating and entering their carreers.

I completely agree, and I would add that genuinely caring for each student and his or her needs will take you 90% of the way to a "sale".

....and if you're selling desparate the student will be able to tell!

I concur Molly! Coming from a "customer service" background into education, I find that my people skills and general care about the student almost always leads to a "sale". But it seems sometimes the "corporate team" care more about that sale than the student and I think that's just sad.

I agree! Building value in education and how it will benefit someone in the long run is the direction to go. Trying to "sell" someone a school or program comes off too pushy at times. We need to understand and listen to what our potential students are looking for.

I agree! If we listen to what the students are saying and ask the right questions we will never be selling we will be helping our students move forward in their lives.

I agree. We are "selling" the intangible. Utimately, our students want a degree or to get in their desired career fields. But it is important that the student realizes what they are investing in. An "Educational Experience" is invaluable. They are gaining something that can never be taken away from them. Knowing this, and getting up for work everyday is a motivating factor for me!

Exactly! Give them accurate and reliable information so that they can make an informed decission and I believe that the student will be much happier and successful that way.

I don't believe that education should ever be "sold" and I hate to beak it to you "building value" is a gentler term for selling... its like the difference between a "pre-owned" and a "used" car... exact same thing but different verbiage

Selling is not a dirty word! Building value, listening to the needs of prospective students, focusing on the benefits a school offers, and establishing a relationship are all part of the selling process. Often times a student's objections and concerns must be overcome. It's not about pushing s student to do something they don't want to do, or about forcing a school to fit, it's about motivating the prospective student to take the first step. Knowing and communicating the value and benefits of the school is important, but motivating and selling is equally, if not more important.

Sign In to comment