Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Social Security Number

Since we take the social security number as part of the enrollment, I would imagine it is imperative to have the folders locked up.

Lori:

Yes, schools should have procedures in place to assure that confidential personal information that may be contained in student files is not improperly released.

Yes i would defenitly keep this in a certain room with limited access

Yes. Since the social security number is listed on the enrollment agreement it is important that the files stay in a locked cabinet for security purposes.

Our campus has specific protocols regarding the security of personal information on enrollment agreements as well as all other admissions & academic files. Specifically only required campus personnel have access to the files of enrolled students. We also ensure that all files are kept in secured filing cabinets that are compliant with campus security measures.

I personally do not like having access to students personal information like SSN but see it as somewhat necessary to get all the information required to effectively complete FA. I am very careful to shred anything that I think could compromise their personal security.

I'm new to the college I am working for, so I am not sure of its policy yet... But the college I attended had us provide social security numbers on enrollment forms, but then assigned each of us a separate student number that identified us for financial aid, student health, academic records, etc. Though it was sometimes a pain to have to try to remember ANOTHER long number for these purposes, I did think it was safer than using our socials everywhere.

It is very important to have your student files put up. I do keep files many months after the intial interview continuing to work files however, it is very important after working files that they are properly destroyed because of the social security number and other information that the enrollment agreement contains.

Yes Yes Yes, We must keep all records privite. To many people are out there tring to get this information.

It sounds like you have a very good program at your school keep up the good work

Assigning each student another number is a great idea. Yes, it does require a little more time and effort but not nearly the time and hassle of having your identity stolen.

Yes, this is very true. Especially because of the rising issues with identity theft on the internet!

Yes, Anthony you are correct too many people out there are trying to get access to this information that is why it is so important that we take every precaution to assure that our student information is protected.

yes it is very important to have a secured records room.

We are also very careful when it comes to social security numbers as identity theft is so prominent today.

I used to work in a banking environment and we dealt with social security numbers, routing numbers, etc and at all times, we were required to keep it locked up. I would guess that this situation would be the exact same way...lock everything up!

We always ensure student files are secure in a safe place!

All of our student files are kept in a secure safe place. Anything information I have that I think could compromise personal security is shred.

I have read that schools are in the top 5 when it comes to identity theft abuse. It is vital to maintain strict adhearance to identity protection.

All personally identifiable information should be afforded protection not just the social secruity number. I think that information such as name, address, DOB, phone, etc. should be secured when not actively in use. Additionally the use of items such as cameras, and cell phones should be restricted or controlled in any area where such information could be heard or recorded intintionally or accidentally.

Sign In to comment