Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

How long should cancellations be kept on file?

Does the state have any regulations regarding how long cancellations should be kept on file? The student's folder does include the enrollment agreement.

I would be interested in this as well. Does anyone know?

This is an excellent question, I think we should keep them at least 60 days but no more, let me know when you get your answer.

Sheila, Trina and Emily,

If a student signs an enrollment agreement and then cancels, you are required to maintain that information for five years.

Ohio Administrative Code section 3332-1-08(A) states in part: "All schools shall maintain appropriate student records of tuition fees paid, basis for admission, program enrollment, enrollment and withdrawal dates, student evaluation, and progress toward a degree, diploma or certificate. These student reocrds shall be maintained for a period of five years by the school, its successors or assigns. Academic records (transcript) must be retained permanently."

I would also be interested in knowing. I think 5 years is too long. For instance, I had a student cancel because we didn't find out until his financial aid appointment that he never signed up for selective service, and he's too old to register. We know he can't attend our college, why would I need to hold on to his paperwork?

I would say it is necessary because our students' lives change on a daily basis. What if in the future this student was not in need of financial aid to attend school. If the fact that he never registered for selected service no longer impeded him from continuing his education than his information that was kept on file could be useful in getting him enrolled and packaged. Of course this is only my opinion and each circumstance deserves its due attention.

Kim,

For clarification: Are you stating applicants who do not actually start school, or return after their application process must have their file maintained for 5 years? Or are you speaking of section 3332-1-08(A) stating only 'student records'...shall be maintained'? Qualifiying the code to be speaking of 'students' and not 'applicants' as I believe the original question was eluding to.

It's appropriate to keep welcome sheets, or interview questionnaires for your follow up notes. However, I do not beleive the above code is referencing applicants. I beleive the above code is referencing students that have started school.

Also - It is my understanding that the student has 5 days to cancel the Enrollment Agreement that they have signed?

Michael:

An enrollment agreement is a contract between the school and the student and if a student signs an enrollment agreement, a copy of that enrollment agreement should be kept for 5-years. Some schools have a separate application that students fill out prior to entering into the enrollment agreement. If a student only fills out an application and never completes the enrollment agreement, the school may dispose of the application since the student never officially enrolled.

This is off-topic, but I wanted to mentioned that there are exceptions allowed if the student did not willfully fail to register for selective service. The FSA Handbook explains the steps involved in determining whether or not an exception is allowed. I'm sure your FA department is aware of this and has already considered it....I just wanted to mention it.

I am glad that I selected this forum because I was not aware that if a student cancels after enrollment then we must keep their enrollment application for five years. Thanks, for helping by posting this information.

I agree; this was very useful and will be helpful in training my new Admissions Reps.

Since the EA has personal information on it, I would imagine these should be kept in locking file cabinets. Is that correct??

Sign In to comment