Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I agree, the institute I work for offers an externship placement, however we do not guarentee placement into a job. I think this is a huge selling point in choosing a career college. Real life experience is a marketable trait to employers.

I think giving students the opportunity at real-life experience is one of the best things we can do for them. It has been my experience that most of these students are receiving job offers based on their performance during the externship.

Externships are AWESOME opportunities to gain real life, and real world experience in their field. It offers opportunities to network and ask questions. Also, most times this experience is verifiable. They can use it as leverage to make them more marketable to prospective employers!

So true, when I did my internship I got a real good idea of what it was like to work in a hospital setting. I truely feel the internships will continue to benifit the student and give them the basic needs for increased ability during an interview with a future employer.

Over the years working in career services I know that the students that completed and took the externship serious were employed at a much quicker pace.

I believe that all schools should offer externships because this gives an opportunity for the student to get some experience in the field. In admissions, we discuss the externship as just that --not job placement because the externship is included in the program and has grades and credit hours attached --via part of the curriculum.

I would tend to agree with this method, not only does extenships give exposure, but it allows them to be considered as potential employees depending upon the company and its policies. I think that most students would jump at the opportunity to get real world experience regardless of whether they get hired by that company or not.

In my experience, on the job training is the best way to truly learn. The classroom is where you prepare but the extern allows the student to put that training to good use.

Externships are a great way for Students to get their foot in the door and demonstrate all the skills they've learned. Many times this will lead to employment. If not it's real life experience!

Yes, when done right, the externship program is good for the student/s and potential employer/s.

***Does your school keep in regular contact with the extern site to check on the student's attendance, attitude, performance etc,?

***Does the extern site provide feedback to the school about the student, particularly about his/her "Skills". I think that it's a real good way for the school to learn if their students are "job ready" or not.

I don't think it's a deceptive program, there are a number of factors to consider. The first of which is, does that school also have a Job placement program? If they do then where is there deception? I would think this would be of great importance since the module stated prospective students need to be shown grad rates and placement rates before signing an agreement.

Second, as they say, practice makes perfect. Sometimes the best classroom is real life.

Third, you say they offer externships, but not if they are mandatory. If they are not mandatory and the student is aware that it is merely to build a resume, then the student has to decide whether or not to pursue it. If it is a mandatory part of the curriculum, then that should be addressed with the prospective student before they enroll.

The school I work at only has mandatory externships for our online distance learning program. They can't get the same hands on experience at our campus as our campus students get with their professors and classmates, and in that instance I believe it is great to offer an externship program. They can still learn to use their trade from licensed professionals even if they can't attend campus classes.

I respectfully disagree that it's used to entice students by being deceptive.

Most every college / university have many programs/majors that require internships/externships. I actually think students would be turned away from a school if they DIDN'T offer an externship.

Like a few others have said, you're going to college to develop your career, it would be a shame if you couldn't get some hands-on training while you're still in school a) to make sure you really want to do it or b) to make sure you know what you're doing by the time you graduate.

We offer externships with a few of our programs, and I think it should excite students to come to school for the fact that they are going to get the chance to be in the field, with the pros, doing what they would be doing on the job, which so many employers want to see. I do however disagree when it is used as a trick to lead potential students to believe this will turn into a job. I make it clear that it is experience that can be used towards their job search.

I believe the externship is a huge factor in the students education, as it teaches the skills in real world situations, and provides the student with basic knowledge, and something to build thier resume. I think if marketed in the correct and ethical way, that the externship should be allowed to be used on marketing pieces. However, it MUST completely explain the function of the externship with the understanding that it is not a job or a path to one by any means

John

We have companies that will send us weekly updates as to the students progress and the student can get back earning for his or her family sooner. Also, jumping into a new career is scary for some folks but knowing that they have the externship to develop their skill set is reassuring.

Great points! Externships are invaluable to our students. These opportunities not only give them a look at the "real world," but it gives them the opportunity to improve their self esteem, focus on skill enhancement, and gain usable knowledge within their field of choice.

I think externships are a excellent way to gain hands on experience on what the student is learning in the textbook.Whereas for many students this is when the light bulb turns on, and everything begins to have more clarity on the specific area of study.

I think if I was not quite sure of a subject this would be a great opportunity to see if this was right for me... How many days would you offer this service to a potential student?

laurie,

It would be a part of the curriculum and the school would have to determine the appropriate length of time necessary for that particular program.

Kimberly Stein

I think they should be able to. Externships are useful in ways that classroom work can't be. They can give you experience in places you may have never considered to look and in places you may not have had access to otherwise, giving you unique qualifications that others won't have.

Sign In to comment