Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Some Schools are beginning to offer externships to entice students

Some Schools are beginning to offer externships to entice students. The problem I have with this is that an "externship is defined as "An externship is an opportunity for a student to engage in practice based learning". I think this is a deceptive practice give the impression of job placement after-school. Do you think schools shold be allowed to offer externships in their marketing material?

I think that externships are a wonderful way for the student to begin to feel comfortable with all of their learned skills. This is turn will make the transition from college student to employed graduate so much easier and allow them to begin networking in their field of choice.

I feel that schools that offer externships serve a huge benefit to the students. The hands on learning and experience in the field, will definitely help them when they apply for jobs. I think that they will have a leg up in the job search after school if they do these externships. Therefore, having the marketing material show that that the school offers an externship is a benefit to the student and they will see that.

Our school is not able to offer externships because of our accreditation agency, there are strict guidelines on the number of hours that they must be in the classroom, but we do have a lot of students who are able to work part time in the fields that they are studying while they are in school, this is certianly great exposure for them and is also a great way for them to network.

Having the opportunity to practice in a real life work setting that which is learned in an academic setting strikes me as something good for students. I don't view much difference between an Externship at a Career College than an Intership at a traditional College.

I actually like the thought of OACCS regulation of Career Schools and hope they view Externships as a value add that ultimately benefits students!

Externships are offered as part of many approved programs. Since most of the programs offered by career colleges are designed to lead to employment in a specific career field, giving students an opportunity to work in the field can be beneficial to the student from both an educational perspective and to give the student some opportunity to develop work experience that is sought by potential employers.

Externships have always been an integral part of our program. There is no substitute for "real-world" learning and, particularly, the networking with possible future employers is invaluable!

I believe externships are a great way for students to gain some "real-world" experience in their field. It's a valuable networking tool for them and also a resumee booster.

I agree, programs offering externships definitley benefits the student by allowing them to experience "on the job training" and getting a "hands-on" experience. After completing an externship, the student will an advantage throughout their job search.

John

The more a student gets to participate in a real world business environment the better that students overall education will be. The books dont cover everything, real life can.

I agree that they are very valuable. Hands on training/real world learning experiences are the best way to learn.

I am going to have to concur that externships provide very beneficial opportunities to students. Allowing a student to have that kind of "on the job" training provides a beneficial experience to the student. I think that in talking to students about approved externship opportunities, that schools ought to outline that the purpose of the externship is to be educational and that the student is a reflection of themselves and the school when doing that externship.

I believe that an externship is an invaluable educational benefit for the student and it needs to be stated in the marketing material that the externship is part of the curriculum and that job placement assistance is provided upon completion of the course or graduation.

Externships are a great way for the student to enhance was was learned in the classroom. Practice....Practice....and Practice.....

Externships are a great way for students to get their foot in the door of a company that may offer long term employment. Students need to be informed that graduation requirements involve completion of the externship.

Externships are a great way for students to gain some real world experience. I have seen them as being very positive and they can be used as a way to show a benefit of your school's program. However, you need to ensure students that an externship does not guarantee that they will be hired after they complete the program. At my school we make sure to tell them that yes, some students have been hired by their externship site but not everyone does. It depends on their hiring needs and the student's performance on their externship. Admissions Reps need to be clear on this so students don't think they are being guaranteed a job.

I agree. Students need real life experiences. Textbooks can only give you the knowledge. You can only gain real work experiences by actually "working" in the field.

I believe it has became the best learning tool that can be provided to the student. I feel as though more schools should adopt this method of education to help prepare students at every institution. When students begin to job hunt after school is completed, most employers want to see some level of experience.

We've offered them for quite sometime. I think it is truley the best way to end a program. Learn the material, move to the practical applications, and then be put out there to practice what you've learned. Most schools encourage them and thats it, I feel requiring them forces the student to be proactive knowing they will need to apply their learning at the end.

I absolutely believe that an externiship should be allowed to be included in marketing materials. An externship
gives a prospective student additional hands on and a competitive advantage in their chosen field!

Sign In to comment