Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Out of State compliance with Ohio?

How are the out of state schools regulated?

Dustin:

Out-of-State schools (and their agents) must be approved to recruit in Ohio. Generally this process involves verification that the school is approved and/or accreditted in the state where they are located.

I am employed at a College Campus located in Kentucky. The very reason I am completing training requirements at this site is due to the fact that at times I will be involved in Admissions for a "sister" school in Ohio. At this stage in the training process I am curious about any State Regulations or Requirements that pertain to recruiting out of state students. Are there any specific rules or regulations that apply to the Out of State Student Admissions Process? If I interact with a Potential Student who resides in Ohio who decides that they want to enroll/apply to the "sister" school in Kentucky - do the Ohio Regulations still apply? If a Kentucky resident decides to apply/enroll at the Ohio Campus?

Timothy:

If you were recruiting the student while the student was physically in Ohio, the Ohio rules would apply. If the Ohio student came to Kentucky (or any other state), then the rules of that state would apply.

Nothwithstanding what specific state rules apply, I think most of the Ohio regulations that cover ethical conduct during the recruiting process are going to be applicable in any state.

Do states have something like reciprocity? That is, the Education rules and regulations are honored from state to state?

I work for a school in West Virginia, so does this mean that when a student comes to our campus West Virginia rules apply?

Marilyn:

There is cooperation among the states but most states have their own rules and regulations. Different rules may apply depending on the state the school is in and/or the state the student is in.

Misti:

Typically, yes. If you are recruiting a student who is physically in West Virginia than the West Virginia rules would apply.

Since most states have there
Own regulations.the home study
Art school I work for has a
Different student contract for
Every state

I was just wondering is there some type of website or reference that we could use in order to familiarize ourselves with other states' rules and regulations?

TaJuan,

You would just need to visit the website of each state's regulatory agency.

Kimberly Stein

I am glad to finally know the difference between being accredited and approved. The institution I work at is accredited meaning they are recognized by the U.S Department of Education.

I know that State bureaucrats sometimes get a bad rap for regulation and paperwork but it's nice to know someone out there is regulating this important process.

Sign In to comment