Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Keeping an Even Playing Field

I believe it is very important to be respectful of other schools and not present false information about a competitor. The discussion should be kept about the school inquestion with the prospective student.

Gina:

I think you are correct. Discussing the merits of other schools is not something that should be part of the admissions process.

How do you answer a question from a prospective student when they ask "What to you think about the programs at "school x" down the street"?

When this subject comes up, as it invariably does, I politely refer the student to that school to gain information about that school and tell them that I can only speak to the programs/policies of our school.

In my opinion, after several years as a Rep, I believe it is always best to redirect these discussions back to the features and benefits of the school I am representing, and to remain positive.

To make derogatory comments about other schools looks unprofessional. The best thing to do is simply re emphasize what you (your school) has to offer without openly criticizing the competition.

Agreed. I really don't comment on other schools, and will tell potential students that they need to visit other schools if they have questions about them.

That is probably a wise policy as it would be very easy to be inaccurate - in addition to the other reasons not to comment, gossip is unprofessional.

I agree completely with this policy and what others have said about it. Slinging mud at other schools is unprofessional and it can damage our credibility in the eyes of potential students. Instead of speaking ill of another institution it is far more important to simply be able to explain the benefits of attending whatever institution an agent works for. If they are unable to do so it may seem that the agent has more conviction that other institutions are "bad" and are unable to talk about their own school. Similarly, the most important thing is to help a person find EDUCATION wherever it may be. If an agent belives in what they are doing then this should come easily to them.

I tell them that they should apply to more than one school and get accepted to more than one and visit all that they are accepted to and choose the one that best fits them as person. Pick the school that the feel most likley to graduate from.

I agree as well bad mouthing other schools is unprofessional and looks badly.

I have many students that come from out of state, and they tend to have comments about other schools, but I would never say anything negative about a competitor.

I always tell them that I think it's a great idea to gather information from each school to see which will work out best.

Talking about competitors will give your immediate school a bad reputation.

I agree with Gina, I think it is good if a student is looking around at different schools because they want to make sure they find the school that fits their needs and goals the most. Saying this, we as agents should be respectful of the fact that they are looking around and confident in our school. The student will be impressed when we emphasize the features and benefits of our school that the competitors may not have.

It is very important as an admissions rep to know about our competitors because it shows the prospect your professionalism, but slandering other institutions just for them to attend your school will come back to bite you. Therefore, the best approach is to educate yourself about your product and service because is the biggest selling point!

I will typically try and respond in a positive manner and turn the conversation back to what our school has to offer the student. Bad mouthing a competitor will only make you, the rep, look bad.

I agree, if you have to degrade another school what does that say about you and your school.

I say that I'm sure they are a fine institution but I can only speak for our program. Based on what you've told me our program has this, this, and this,etc..... that you told me were important to you.

I typically tell students that there are a variety of educational options and they need to make the decision that fits their goals best. Some students may have a goal to work in a specialized career path and they might not really like school. If that's the case, they might be better suited for a career college that will train them and might be a two-year plan. Whereas, some students enjoy the atmosphere of a larger campus or simply haven't decided what they want to do in the future. If that's the case, those students might decide that they want to take a year of general education classes and some electives at a school that offers four-year programs. Each student is different and there aren't wrong or right schools. Just wrong or right schools for that particular student.

Sign In to comment