Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Damage Control

I'd like some input on how to manage damage control when questions arise about other institutions who have been in the news for breaking the code of ethics etc. Especially when they try to lump all career colleges together. One schools behavior should not reflect on the rest of us. Although the reality is that it does. Thanks!

Deane:

Thats a great question. I would think focusing on the positive attributes of your school should be your primary focus.

I think the right way to handle this is to just recommend the potential student to do their du dilligence by researching the school in question and also add that they should also research any school they are considering attending.

The best way to handle this question is to tell the student that you are not at liberty to discuss problems that other schools have had. Then tell the student how your school works to adhere to ethical standards.

Wendy:

Very good answer. It's not productive to engage in a discussion about media stories regarding problems at other schools, plus it may put you in a difficult position if you appear to be "discrediting other schools" which is a violation of Ohio Admin. Code 3332-1-17.2(B)(4). If students have questions about other schools they should be encouraged to do their own research or contact the other schools directly.

I always tell students that I will never discuss anything negative about other schools. I then move the coversation by focusing on positive attributes regarding our school.

This is also an area that has given me a little bit of "panic". I think each situation has to be handled differently on a case to case basis depending on the person sitting in front of you. If it's someone who really keeps focusing on the fact that your school or your "type" of school was on tv, then it obviously needs to be addressed. You need to ask the individual exactly what areas were they concerned with that they saw and why did it concern them. When someone asked me these questions right after something was aired on tv, I basically told them that I won't discredit another school and I focused on their concerns. I also offered that student an opportunity to sit in class for a day and see what the class was like and see if it was what they expected or let them talk with an instructor in the program. If an individual keeps focusing on the subject of career colleges and their unethical techniques and after you've tried to address their concerns and they keep bringing it up, do you think it's ok to come back and ask them if they only have bad things to say about career colleges, why did they still come to the school if you're not going to give it a chance?

I agree that the best advice is to encourage students to do their research when chosing a school. I think it is important to build value in your institution, while being honest and open with students.

I always tell students that I am not a person who participates in school bashing. I usually ask them what is the most important aspect about the school they wish to attend and respond to that question with the strengths of our school. I also encourage students to do their research about the school they choose to attend.

I believe the best way to handle this question is simply to encourage the student to do their research and find what school is the best fit for them. Encourage them to find the institution and program that the will excel at. I often remind them that they are making a sizeable investment into their futures and that they should not rush into any decision.

I have found that the best way to approach this situation is to completely acknowledge their concerns and the fact that no matter how good you are there are always people making it difficult. The more you relate to their concerns the more they will trust you when discussing the differences between those institutions and yours.

Paul:

Yes, there are always going to be people who have bad experiences at your school or other schools. Hopefully, there are many more people who have a positive experience.

How do you get students to focus on the positive experiences?

I agree, the best way to handle the situation is to address the concerns of the student, but definitely never say anything negative about another institution.

I agree. I always tell the prospective student to do research! I will not comment negatively on any other institution. Education is an expensive and time consuming investment; it’s the perspective’s job to make sure the institution they choose is right for them. I encourage them to decide what is important to them and focus on the positive attributes of the school I represent. Usually, once I tell them about our positives they have a better understanding of what is important to get from your school.

I tell prospects that I cannot answer those types of questions or make comments, as I do not work for that school. I the try to bring the conversation back to the positive aspects of our school and how it fits their needs. If a student is persistant with those types of questions, i always recommend they visit that school before they make a decision.

Sign In to comment