Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Student Placement Numbers

Our school presents this at enrollment. When do others and what is an effective way to present this information?

We do this durong the interview process when we are talking about Career Services. This seems to be very effective and well timed for us.

As an agent of the school I represent, I have found it to be effective during the visit with the students as we discuss forecasting by U.S. Dept. of Labor and their most recent statistics.

We do this during the interview process and/or during the actual enrollment process. Either way this information is brought to the students attention while they are enrolling.

We present this information at the time of orientation. Ours is based on a survey of graduates which can lack information due to non responses.

How does your college collect their placement numbers?

At my institution, placement numbers are a reflection of what's being submitted to the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges. By providing what we submit to the ACCSC, I believe it helps the student(s) have a better understanding of our overall placement.

I have also found that the Bureau of Labor Statistics is a very useful source of information. The information on their website gives students an non-biased view of employment trends.

We do it at the time of enrollment as well, but presenting it with facts and figures in front of you during the tour and visit with craeer services would be well timed too.

Our school talks about student placement numbers at the time of enrollment

I think discussing placement numbers, as well as graduation rates increases confidence in the institutions integrity.

We provide this information at enrollment but I usually relay the percentage during the first time interview as well.

We inform our students with placement in the initial interview process. It's important to stress that there is no guarantee that we can find them employment, but a 50/50 partnership. It's up to the students in how much time, effort, and professionalism when there in school/externship. We provide the tools and its how the students utilize them.

Amy:

Good observation. It is the school's responsibility to identify possible job opportunities for students and generally provide assistance and advice with resume writing and other preparation but ultimately the student must secure the job through the employer.

What other type of "placement preparation" assistance do schools provide for students?

Part of our curriculum includes students completing an externiship. This is an opportunity for them to practice what they learn in the classroom and a chance to prove themselves in a professional work setting.

For my position, I do a PowerPoint presentation to a group for the beginning of the process. I give all the necessary statistics at that time and encourage the potential students to ask those questions when looking at different Nursing Schools. I know I'm not going to be the first or last person they speak to.

We present this during the intervier process, but do not guarantee placement

At my school we offer hands on training as well as externships. Beginning at the enrollment process and for the duration of their educational journey, we encourage our students to utilize career services to help with resume building, the interviewing process, networking tactics and even periodic seminars for self branding!

Our institution provides this in the classroom. I think students take a real interest in this type of information. Although, sometimes numbers can be information overload. They only hear about half of what we say anyways!

Jillian,

Please be aware that no applicant may sign an enrollment agreement until the school has provided the applicant with placement and graduation rates, by program, for each of the preceeding three years. Providing the information in the classroom once the student is enrolled does not meet this requirement.

Kim,

Where is the best place to find accurate placement and graduation rates on ones school?

Sign In to comment