Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Out-of-State Schools recruiting in Ohio

How can this be regulated? Especially since these institutions are not located in Ohio and license by OACCS.

The best way that a student might be assured of this is to ask the success rate of other students that came from Ohio. Another is to simply ask for a catalog. This will state whether the school is a part of OACCS, the Accredidation, etc. Of course this comes with the student and parents or sigificant others cooperation in wanting to find out as much information as possible from the school. If the regulations that the school has does not satisfy the student, then appropriate actions should be taken as to pursue or not pursue going to the intended school.

Nicole:

Out-of-state schools that recruit students within the State of Ohio must be approved and registered with the Ohio State Board of Career Colleges and Schools. This requirement allows the State of Ohio to assure that schools coming into Ohio to recurit students meet minimum academic standards and follow the same recruiting and solicitation regulations as all Ohio-based schools.

Nicole,

I believe that is why this training and certification process are so important; to ensure that all schools that are recruiting students in the state of Ohio are being regulated and adhering to said regulations.

My question is about other states...we are located close to another state and many of our students are from that state as well as many of our prospective students, is there additional permits needed?

Melissa:

I would recommend checking with your supervisor as to the requirements for recruiting out-of-state students as there are many factors that would need to be considered.

Not all states require that out-of-state schools' admissions reps be individually licensed. In addition, there may be different regulations based upon whether you are physically recruiting in the other state or whether the out-of-state students are coming into your school.

For example, if an Ohio student goes to a school in Indiana and enrolls in that school, there would be no requirement for the Indiana school and/or admissions reps to be approved in Ohio. However, if the Indiana admissions reps were actually coming into Ohio to recruit students, both the Indiana school and admissions reps would need to be licensed in Ohio.

I agree. Having this stipulation ensures that we are taking every measure that the prospective student is being treated fairly and ethically even if it is out of state.

Standards are standards. The rules ned to enforced and maintained or every unscrupuloi=us school would set up shop in one state and work applicants in other states...

I work for a school that is based out of the State of Ohio. There are several campuses in Ohio, has a university they have made it mandatory that we adhere to the rules and regulations of the Stae of Ohio as well as the rules and regulations of the university. Participation and successful completion of the training has always been a requirement. In addition, when we attend training in other states the regulations for Ohio are always included in the discussions. As an individual I would not place myself in a position that working for or not adhering to the regulations is tolerated.

Great topic. Good question. I appreciate the responses also. I believe it also reflects the credibility and character of a school if it is dishonest in its' recruiting practices. If we go by the subject matter... Ohio Board requires licensing by a school for its agents to be approved.

I agree with the comments and opinions being made. Rules define relationships and good rules create healthy relationships. Knowing the rules that everyone must follow is the best step to ensuring everyone is safe and effective. This training will protect the students, the agents, and the schools they represent. One bad apple can create a perception that is generalized to all! This is good for everyone working in admissions!

I'm very pleased to hear that a license is required by all states that wish to recruit in Ohio. It's on par with other businesses that wish to do business in certain states. I have a brother that sells secrities in different states and he has a license in 38 states. That's the way it should be. Thanks!

I think too that it provides a layer of protection for the individual being recruited in a particular state, that it is governed and consistant.

I am wondering if this regulation applies to all schools, i.e. for-profit. I have worked for an institution like this, that has many campuses in Ohio but is located centrally out of state. I have not had this training in the past. However I greatly appreciate that at my new institution this is a requirement. I feel I am respresenting a highly regulated and professional organizationt that has the student's best interests at heart.

Since we are required to get involved, it helps hold us accountable as well as educates us

I agree Adriane this is a start. Just don't put yourself in that prediciment and this issue will not become one for you!

Chelsea:

The regulation of out-of-state schools does apply to all for-profit schools that have a physical presence in Ohio. Due to legal jurisdiction issues, it would not apply to online schools that only recruit via the internet and who have no physical presence within Ohio.

This required agent training course has only been operational since September, 2010 and was not officially a requirement until January, 2011.

Since regulations and programs vary from state to
state, certification programs such as this are
very beneficial. Our school catalog is updated several times during the year. As an admissions counelor
you need to be constantly updating your knowledge
of the ever changing program offerings and state
by state regulations.

I think this training is a good way to regulate admissions policies. For many of us, it seems like common sense or practices we already uphold in our admissions process. I think a requirement for nationally for agent training would be benificial as well. That way it would be standard across all schools.

I agree to the point that this is necessary. There have been bad actors in the cast in the past that necessitate a higher standard. By requiring these certifications the state of Ohio plays a part in ensuring quality interactions with prospective students.

Sign In to comment