Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Reaching out to new sites

What are some good forms of communication to use to reach out to sites that have not offered externships previously?

Candis,

In person...first and foremost. Have the Program Director of Director of Career Services go to the site. Take them lunch and some informational material on your college and the program they would be interested in the most. Create a connection through the small investment of food. Food is cheap but warms people up to listen. Phone calls, emails and mailings are easily thrown away but standing there in person with lunch for the office...that is hard to turn away. Sometimes the ery best Career Services advisors/directors are former admissions team members.

Christopher Nickell

Christopher,

I agree with you about in person meetings! Phone calls are great, but it is a lot easier for people to say "no" over the phone than in person. When I was placing in the health care field, I would often reach out to employers by walking in, introducing myself to the office manager, and dropping off some sample resumes. Simple, cheap, and would often start great relationships!

Jennie,

That is the magic ticket! Don't be shy...we teach our students not to be so let's model that behavior!

Christopher Nickell

For best effectiveness, the contact has to be personal, either in person or by phone. The interviewee may not see the benefits of cooperating with your institution. The interviewee has to watch for benefit opportunities for the interviewee. The interviewee is sitting there wondering "what's in it for me." During personal interviews, the interviewee should see some opportunities to suggest.

Allen,

I suggest in person - invest the time and invest the mileage reimbursement. It is irreplacable and send your best face with a smile!

Christopher Nickell

Good forms of communications are requests for meetings with appropiate person in charge of externships in the company. Coordinate a presenation to the externship department in the company.

Sign In to comment