Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Importance of Instructor Credentials

Identify your preferred order of importance of the four categories of instructor credentials for assigning classes and provide rationale for your prioritization.
a. Teaching experience
b. Level of education
c. On-the-job experience
d. Industry licenses and/or certifications

I usually look at level of education and industry licenses or certifications first because we have to meet our accreditation requirements as well as our own policy and procedure requirements. Beyond that, then I look at on the job experience. Students tend to gain more knowledge from instructors who can help give them practical knowledge. Students learn more when information is related to examples given by those who have experience in the industry. Finally I look at teaching experience because beyond the practical examples an instructor still needs to have experience with teaching.

Renee,
Your prioritization and rationale are presented well and make a lot of sense. Thanks for sharing.

Dr. S. David Vaillancourt

First I must meet accreditation standards, so I look at the level of education and degree that was attained. Again, licenses and certifications in certain fields are an accreditation requirement so that also must hold priority. After that, I like to look over past job experience as I feel it is so important to add real life scenarios to lectures to make the material relevant to our students' career goals. I also believe an instructor has to become proficient in the skills they are teaching and that takes time in the field. Teaching experience is always preferred as a seasoned instructor usually (not always)requires less guidance. Sometimes, however, it is easier to work with someone who is new to being an instructor and is open to constructive criticism. When set up with an appropriate mentor, someone new to the teaching experience who is open to learning,can be your most enthusiastic and conscientious instructor.

Anne,
Your priority system (compliance, subject matter experience, instructor) is excellent and your approach to training field professionals to be instructors is on target. Nice work. Thanks for sharing.

1. On-the-job experience is strongly favored by schools that hire adjunct instructors. Instructors with vast experience in the practical world of their field are generally more current in their knowledge and skills.

2. Teaching experience would be my second choice in the hierarchy of credentials, given that teaching is an art, and someone with a long history of teaching is certainly aware of classroom issues and more capable of addressing the needs of the students from an academic perspective.

3. The level of education, if based on degrees, is a strong suggestion of what the individual can contribute to the learning environment, but it certainly is no guarantee. Many people go through school and are capable of performing the perfunctory duties fo assignments, theses, and dissertations, but it takes instinct, talent, and experience to deliver great teaching.

4. Licenses/certifications are clearly helpful in ascertaining the readiness of a prospective instructor and for placing them in a given course. I link on-the-job-experience closely with this category of credentials.

William,
Your 'linking' of on-the-job experience is a strong formula. Thanks for sharing.

Sign In to comment