Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The student population most defenitely influence the student online delivery. If your intitution caters to younger students your possibility for success in these types of programs should be much better, then those that have the older students. if your student bosy is older then more time should be allotted for most courses.

They can, but I think we need to be really careful putting our values and our opinions of the student population into this decision. We recently surveyed a group of students as we were concerned about them having the proper technological skills and devices to participate in a hybrid class. We were surprised when the survey results showed that not only did they all have the technology, but used it on a daily basis. I have students asking me daily if there is any way they can do some of the activities online.

I think the characteristics of the instructors and administrators (corporate culture) are more likely to influence the decision.

Or... the younger student body will not have the self-discipline to be successful in the online environment where the older student may be more driven.

While I do not disagree with your thoughts I just believe that we need to be careful on generalizations such as this (both yours and mine). These could be unfair to a student.

It has been my experience that online programs try to reach introductory course level students--those who might be the most vulnerable to time and focus constraints.

Lately, I have seen some schools either 1) require an online orientation course, or 2) direct online courses to students with more established study skills--from sophomores through graduate level.

Whatever can be done to debunk the illusion that online is "easier," will help. Some schools choose to include suggestions for "time on task" for activities.

Over the past six years, the number of our students who own a computer on which they chat, email etc. has gone from about 10-25% of an incoming class to now about 90-98%. This has convinced me that the online student market is lucrative.

I wish to also add, that the remaining 2-10% are normally older students who feel very behind their younger peers. It amazes them when they begin to surpass the young phone-texting social junkies who don't have enough time to be a student! Granted, the few who have never typed or haven't invested in reading glasses have great difficulty with their studies, but overall, the older adult demonstates more motivation.

We have the same opinion, in my country I only know of one educational institution offering distance learning courses including online. A school would have a hard time reaching out to student population. One factor is socioeconomic status of the students. Not all have access to the internet, and I think only few have an idea of online courses. Marketing and research is very essential. A synergy between the government and higher educational institutions would be of great help in this case.

Absolutely. Not every student has the same learning techniques. We find that some students find it easier to do more course work online and there are other students who need the hands-on of the classroom.

In the past, our school's academic advisors have had more control over who to put in an online class by intially doing the scheduling. They knew who would be able to handle an online class and who would not. There is a new company-wide scheduling system now, that puts students in online classes that really didn't need to be; that schedule can still be changed. Either way, the students taking online have help, if they need it, from myself and the On-Campus liason for online students. We have both been trained in the eCollege environment used,and are here long hours for the students.

Hi, Pamela, I find it interesting that the admissions people "knew" who could/should take an online course. Long hours worked to accommodate students seems to be the norm as students almost treat forums as email or Twitter on terms os wanting an immediate response. Striking a balance is a challenge.

Hi Linda,
It's the program directors/academic advisors who know the students well enough to know who they can schedule into online classes. The admissions people only tell them that online is an option if they need to take one or more for financial aid fullfillment.

I do believe that the student population influences the reasons for or against online delivery. The population of students that one educational facility may have could be geared more towards the working adult population who don't have a lot of time. This particular group of people like doing a lot of online classes because it fits into their schedule without the need to take one more evening away from their family. However, in contrast, some of the younger student populations do not like to take online classes and would prefer to have the instructor in front of them.

Do the characteristics of the student population influence the reasons for or against online delivery?
Yes.

I currently work in a 100% brick and mortar school. My students are 25+ years old, with many in their 40’s and 50’s. Many have no computer, or even typing skills. Some have tried other schools that have minimal instructor/lecture time, mostly computerized tutorials. They are leaving those schools to coming to my school for the live instruction. They love having me there before class starts, during typing practice, for lecture/demonstration, and during hands on time. I’m there to help or answer questions for the full class day.

If my school were to adopt online delivery I will suggest they market to the younger, or at least slightly computer savvy population. On-line learning is not for everybody. On-line for the at least semi computer savvy, face to face for those who are not. That’s 180 degrees from on-line to on campus that this course suggests.

Regards,

Terry

I agree with trying to make a personal communication with students with on line courses. Many students feel that instructors are not there for them. Even making messages, notes personal this helps the students feel more comfortable in establishing that relationship for fielding questions.

Program Directors or Academic Advisors know what students will do well online and what students will not. Yes, there are students who were put in online classes because of financial aid requirements but did really well. What helps is someone on-campus, a representative or go-between when there is a conflict between student and teacher, trouble will getting into the class, and especially to do an orientation. It really makes a difference to have someone like that on-campus, in addition to the Program Directors/Academic Advisors.

Pamela, you certainly spoke eloquently to this topic. Well done

I agree. I work at a University whose student population is mostly working adults, so the technology skills of our student's aren't very well developed.

It definitely does help to require an online orientation and faculty who is available and will personalize their discussions to make the students feel valued. Faculty definitely does serve as the advisors in online programs, so it's important to hire faculty who meets all of these needs.

If we are able to achieve early and ongoing personalized involvment with the student, online delivery will be successful for everyone involved. It's when the connection fails for a multitude of reasons that the online delivery systems starts to falter.

A student need to know that the instructors is available and reponds to their need and questions
How do would you advise an the instructor to be available for the personal attention they want with the online courses?

How would you determine charateristics of student population?
Would this be done by the registra or counslor

Absolutely! As one example, the student population with a low income levels will be less likely to have a computer or internet access. This will make it difficult for students to meet course requirements. Solutions are available, one example would include students receiving a laptop computer. However this does not solve the lack of internet access the student will still experience and even though WiFi is readily available, it isn't practical to do homework at the local cafe for 3 hours.

I do believe providing access to computers and internet access at a physical site will assist local students. The cost to supply enough computers would be significant and may make the project prohibitive.

Sign In to comment